PDA

View Full Version : Help me decide

tribecamom
02-14-2006, 06:05 PM
I want two new seats for my new Ody
DS is 35 pounds, 2.2
DD is 40 pounds, 3.6

they are in a roundabout and marathon now...I am going to use DD's marathon for travel now that she is out of the sit and stroll

I am reluctant to go with the husky because I am afraid the transition will be too weird, I have heard install can be difficult and the whole must be tethered when honda says not to use the tether makes me nervous

so I am considering:

1. two new marathons

2. two new decathalons (only worth it over option 1 if the crotch strap is longer...anyone know?)

3. two new boulevards (wondering if kids will hate them and I have side impact air bags)

4. two new safeguards (cool, probably not as big/overwhelming as husky, but still go longer than 1-3 and tether isn't mandatory--of course, it is expensive)

okay friend, I am paralyzed here
anyone have a vote (lol)

Kat_Mom2D_J_andRuthie
02-14-2006, 09:36 PM
your dh and your wallet will hate me, but I gotta say the Safguards... unless you think your kids will hit 65lbs before age 8, it's really great for skinny kids who aren't that wide... your kids are right at the start of what should be a slowing down in weight gain, but only you know how slow or fast you think that will be.

Kat

tribecamom
02-15-2006, 11:34 AM
he won't be surprised if I go with the most pricey option

Joolsplus2
02-15-2006, 04:56 PM
LOL...they are nice, too! I say, go for them! (Safeguards, of course!...I have 2 Huskies and love them, but I'd love something smaller even more!)

DO leave your seats tethered, even over the ridiculous 40 pound Honda limit...there's a whole big explanation in the LATCH manual about how they aren't actually known to break, and if they DID break, it would be after the initial highest force of the impact, and thus would still be highly protective for higher weight kids (who NEED top tethering way more than younger, lighter kids).

Anyway, just had to get in my 2 cents on that :).

Try asking for a twin discount on those safeguards, maybe? They had been running a special where they were 399 online, so I bet they'd be happy to work with you.

Geez, look at me planning out your whole shopping experience, here! ROFL! Decathlons are nice, too (slightly higher top slots than Marathons, and of course the adjustable crotch strap...)

Good luck!
Julie CPS Tech and mom to 2 in seats
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx

tribecamom
02-16-2006, 10:18 AM
yes, I finally ciphered all that "ignore the limit for the tether" stuff...although I have to say it is a little weird to ask parents to decide what to listen to (manufacturer limits on lower anchors) and what not to listen too

that having all been said, I have a brand new Ody, nothing on a limit is in the manual, I called CS and they INSISTED (and claimed to have checked with engineering) there is no weight limit other than the car seat manufacturer's limit

Joolsplus2
02-16-2006, 03:24 PM
Well, I THINK the new top tethers MUST be good to 65 pounds... I have to find the link somewhere to the law about that (the TREAD act, I think), but it's better than them trying to tell you it's only 40, at least.

You wouldn't (well you would...) believe how frustrated some safety advocates are with the government and car makers RE the issue of top tether anchor weights...it's just insane they can't get their act together on it!

:)
Julie CPS Tech and mom to 2 in seats
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx