PDA

View Full Version : Poll: what accessories do you have in the car for roadtrips??

gilliesgal
02-15-2006, 11:49 AM
Ok, next question of the day. Roadtripping with 9 month DS from Cleveland to MI alone tomorrow. Just want to make sure I have everything I need to entertain him at this age (been awhile since I've gone this distance with him alone and he's much more interactive now). . . .

I have NOTHING in the car now. Do you use the following and, if so, what brand/style has been your/DC's favorite?

1. Mirror to see RFing baby (have Honda Civic and the one that I bought doesn't work with RFing in the center b/c no head rest for middle passenger)

2. Pillow/headrest (using Scenara for trip)

3. Strap covers

4. Dangling toys/entertainment centers that hook onto DC's seat or on the back of the actual seat of the car

5. Anything else?

I get so nervous about doing the solo trip thing with DS now that he's more than a baby in a bucket sleeping his day away!!!

Thanks-
Kellie

o_mom
02-15-2006, 02:14 PM
1. I have yet to find one that doesn't suck.

2. You can use a rolled up receiving blanket, or a long tube-shaped pillow that you add AFTER they are strapped in. At 9 mos, though, he probably won't leave a headrest alone, and really doesn't need one.

3. You can't add strap covers - I usually make sure they wear something with a collar, instead.

4. Use chains of plastic links hooked the headrest posts, just long enough for them to hold/play with a toy you attach.

5. Bag of soft toys - preferably new/novel/rotated ones that will be interesting. Hand them back one at a time as needed. Extra towels/blankets to use as makeshift changing pads, wraps and anything else you might need. Disposable changing pads - use to line the carseat after a blowout if the cover is wet/dirty (see thread in diapering about cheap versions). Plastic grocery bags for diaper disposal.

Good Luck!

Joolsplus2
02-15-2006, 02:20 PM
The less extra stuff, the better off you'll be (having things in the car that you have to keep track of on a long trip can be a big brain suck, IMO ;) ). If you can find a mirror that attaches really well, that's ok (I'm not supposed to SAY that, but I don't really think they are a big safety risk)...I don't think you need one, though (I've driven my RF kids halfway across the country on 3 day trips without mirrors, and really we did just fine!). NO strap covers. Just make sure his shirt is between the harness and his neck and he'll be fine. Light, light, light toys... nothing you wouldn't throw at his head as hard as you could, are fine... yup, those little plastic rings are pretty cool. Is he eating cheerios yet? Maybe one of those 'snack trap' cups would be good?

Good luck and I'm sure you'll do fine!
Julie CPS Tech and mom to 3 in seats
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx