PDA

View Full Version : Short but chunky baby- MA or RA?

my3fallkiddos
02-16-2006, 09:44 AM
Dillon (5 months old) is 24" (as of his 4 month check up) and 15-16 pounds. He's consistently in the 25% for height and 75% for weight. So he's my chunky monkey :)

I changed DS #1's MA cover and adjuster strap today and put Dillon in it to see how he fits. While width wise he fits great ;) Height wise he's definitely not fitting it so well. So I'm wondering, for a shorter baby, would a RA be more comfortable and safer? Dillon is currently still in his Graco Snugride and will definitely outgrow it weight before height.

Anyone else with a smaller (heightwise) baby? What carseat did you get?

Thanks!!

Carrie

Momof3Labs
02-16-2006, 10:26 AM
Well, even a chunky baby will outgrow a RA long before he's ready for a booster. But perhaps you'd be able to use your DS's MA for him by then. The MA is perfectly safe at his height and weight; it is safe for newborns so he'd be fine in it. So either would probably be fine, just plan on needing something after the RA to get him to booster age.

kellyotn
02-16-2006, 10:41 AM
All the real estate above his head in an MA just means you won't have to buy a different seat later! :) It in no way affects his comfort or safety. My DS has been happy in his MA since he was 4.5 months, and I know lots of people who use them from birth.

RA's are great, but I'd personally only get one if I had a tiny car and an MA (or other 65 lb seat) didn't fit.