PDA

View Full Version : Help! Britax BV and daily diaper blowouts! a little gross, sorry...

elke
02-16-2006, 03:13 PM
Hi,
hmmm, I am not even sure if I should post this under baby butts or here, but here it goes: we bought a Britax Boulevard about a month ago and have been using it happily - but lately, I get diaper blowouts every morning and I think the seat's to blame! Every morning when I drive to daycare, dd goes to town in the carseat, and by the time we arrive, she is ready for a new outfit. Today I was ready for a new outfit too after taking off her pants...I think the reason she has constant blowouts is because we can strap her in so tight, so that when she goes, it squirts out to the sides and back, but I always thought you can never get them in tight enough?
So here are my 2 questions: first of all, has anyone else had this problem on a regular basis? If yes, any solutions?

Second, how tight do I need to have her strapped in?

thanks for any insights!

elke

Joolsplus2
02-16-2006, 03:17 PM
Oh man...that's NO fun (stick a waterproof pad under her so you don't have to wash the cover very often, ok? a THIN one is fine!)
ONLY get the harness tight on her shoulders...the harness will always be kind of floppy loose over her torso, but if it's snug on her shoulders, then it's safe...no need to crank it down till it's tight all over (or you'll crush those poor little thighs...ouch!).

How's the recline? Maybe that has something to do with it...(I have no idea how, and it's not like you can just put it any old way, but I'm brainstorming, lol).

:)
Julie CPS Tech and mom to 3 in seats
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx

elke
02-16-2006, 03:51 PM
well first of all congratulations, Julie to your little one - I am very impressed you are finding time to reply! You have a very sweet baby, I hope she has a nice nap schedule, too!

hmm, the recline...the seat was actually installed by a tech, no pool noodles or anything, she's rearfacing, so in the reclined position. I think she'd prefer to be a little more upright, but i guess that's not safe?

thanks,
elke

christiab
02-16-2006, 05:49 PM
Newborns are notorious for blowouts, especially up the back. The problem isn't the seat, it's probably the diaper. Try a different brand or a different size to see if you can get a tighter fit.

kimbe
02-16-2006, 06:07 PM
We have had blow out issues too, but thank goodness we haven't had one in our BV yet.

To solve out blowout problem, I bought some diaper covers (Prowrap Classic Diaper Covers) and I use them over the sposies. DD has gotten better, but when she is wearing a "nicer" outfit or if we are going somewhere nice, I throw one of those on just be safe. It contains things pretty well.

HTH!

Momof3Labs
02-16-2006, 08:30 PM
ITA - usually that means that baby is ready for the next size up diaper (or a different brand, if the fit isn't right).

elke
02-17-2006, 12:15 AM
thanks for the input! the diaper cover sounds like a great idea...it's definitely not the diaper brand (tried several), and shouldn't be size either - dd is 16 pounds and in size 3, which is the start of the weight limit.

thanks!
elke

Joolsplus2
02-17-2006, 08:04 AM
Well, don't worry too much about the recline, I was just shooting ideas out there.

I like that diaper cover idea, too (no leaks yet, but newborn poos are so small, lol).

Yeah, she's a pretty good baby...fussier than my other two, but I think I'm eating too much chocolate, so I can't blame her, just DH and Valentine's day!

:)
Julie CPS Tech and mom to 3 in seats
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx

my3fallkiddos
02-17-2006, 08:13 AM
DS (5 months) is 16 pounds and we moved him up to size 4's when the size 3's just wouldn't contain his diaper blow outs! I would say we've had only three diaper explosions since switching up a size.

Carrie

jeanum
02-17-2006, 01:32 PM
Yup, same here. My baby DD has been in size 4 disposables since she weighed 14 lbs. at four months. She's long torsoed and always moves up a size before she's at the min. weight stated on the package. Pretty much as soon as she starts having blow outs up the back, we move her up a size. My older DD is long torsoed and diaper size changes were the same for her, too.

Regards,

Jean

erzzie
02-17-2006, 03:18 PM
Both of my kids outgrew the diaper right at the size the diaper package said they should start being in it...that was kind of confusing... to sum up, move up a size! Diaper package labeling is pathetically wrong.

My rule of thumb: 2 blowouts in a week meant the diaper was too small.