PDA

View Full Version : Is it just my babies or do most dislike/hate their infant carseats.

Oregonmother
02-18-2006, 08:18 PM
I have a Graco Snugride. Both if my DC will not sleep in it and scream the entire car ride until removed. They wont sit in it at home or in the stroller either. Neither of them would sit in any manmade object for that matter, so maybe it's more personality. Just wondering how common it is because it seems like everytime I'm out I see babies all over the place quietly sleeping in their infant seat.

DebbieJ
02-18-2006, 09:02 PM
I voted "hates carseat/screams" because that is what my ds did for the first three months of his life in that stupid bucket.

We moved him to his Marathon at 3 months and it was heaven! He fell asleep on his first ride.

~ deb
DS born at home 12/03
2 year check up: 25 lbs with clothes on and 35 inches!
BFARed for 20 months and 6 days
(Breastfeeding After Reduction is possible! www.bfar.org)

http://www.bfar.org/members/fora/style_avatars/Ribbons/18months-bfar.jpg

Oregonmother
02-18-2006, 09:34 PM
I am considering doing this, I'll give the snugride a few more weeks and then we'll be on to a Britax too. I moved DS to a Marathon at 5 months, and he still didn't love it.

Momof3Labs
02-18-2006, 09:38 PM
DS also hated his infant seat from the beginning, but has been content since being moved to a convertible at 3.5 months!

TaChapm
02-18-2006, 11:27 PM
Jackson loved his infant carrier but Tyler hated it. Tyler was much happier once we moved him to his marathon. Tyler pretty much hated everything though so we just assumed that it was his personallity and not the seat in the beginning.

Tara
Mommy to Jackson 11-10-02
Tyler William 6-9-05
OMG!!! Baby #3 Due September 5, 2006!

http://b4.lilypie.com/gzWfm8.png

http://b1.lilypie.com/kLMem8.png

http://bd.lilypie.com/UEZ3m8.png

Melanie
02-19-2006, 12:06 AM
I have one of the "likes car seat anywhere" children and one of the "screamed like a banshee" children.

tribegirl3
02-19-2006, 12:14 AM
My son who is now 22 months old HATES car rides! We had the Snugride and now the Evenflo Triumph and have tried THREE different cars. It got slightly better when he was heavy and old enough to be turned around but he's still not very pleasant in the car. He is okay for short periods of time in a stroller but he hates riding in carts! Sigh. I want to try a Marathon to see if it will help matters!

Angie

Sangiovese
02-19-2006, 11:03 AM
Both DDs loved the infant car seat anywhere. Car, travel system, restaurant, Target, people's houses, both seemed quite happy in "the bucket". I don't doubt that some babies hate them (I am "physically sensitive" or something and am easily irritated by even a tiny bit of discomfort), but it is just funny to me - how do they know what they are sitting in and what is there to not like about? It must be frustrating for you because there are just some places where I wouldn't know what to do with a newborn (like restaurants and the grocery store).

Oregonmother
02-19-2006, 11:24 AM
Well I always end up carring DD in a sling when we're out. Otherwise I don't know what i would do either.

starrynight
02-19-2006, 11:26 AM
I didn't vote because it was too complicated LOL. My first loved all seats and was very content. My middle kid tolerated her infant seat fine and liked to sleep in it (Reflux baby) but hated with a passion her convertible seat and really hated when I tried to keep her rfing longer. Screamed in the car every single second she was in it until we finally turned her at 15 months.

Youngest hated the infant seat, cried the second you placed her in it but she never complained in the convertible seat until she was past 2 and still rfing. We turned her after that.

FWIW, my little one that hated the infant seat loved the swing and bouncy seat. It does sound like personality with your DC.

Vajrastorm
02-19-2006, 02:02 PM
She hated the infant seat.
She hated RF in her Marathon.
She now tolerates FF in the Marathon, but she's still prone to getting squirelly. Dd doesn't like being confined, amd never has.

Kat_Mom2D_J_andRuthie
02-19-2006, 02:36 PM
I voted Hates Carseat because my most recent baby, Ruthie, hated the infant seat (a graco that had been handed down from her brothers and was destroyed after she stopped using it because it was going to expire when she was 1yr old anyway) with a passion... she loved the evenflo triumph we moved her to... it was the only one at BRU that had bottom slots that were low enough, but not TOO low (like the other evenflo convertibles) and was easy to adjust rf.

we've since given it to my mom's old neighbors from her apartment complex who both worked and were having trouble getting funds for a convertible seat for their daughter... they were thrilled to receive it and I think it was a great seat... and they still love it.

We have a scenera and a Marathon which Ruthie loves both.

The reason I'm detailing what I voted is mostly because my two boys loved their seats everywhere and in any way... but I could only vote once, so I'm glad I went with her results first.

they just had different personalities and I felt I really should go with her because she was full term (only one of my boys was) and she had symptoms that go with silent reflux... lots of spitting... which the boys didn't have... so she wasn't the easiest baby on the block like my first, but was still a full-term baby.

Kat

rds97
02-19-2006, 05:19 PM
My DS loves his carseat. It's a Combi Connection. But, he is about to grow out of it... I hope he'll like the Convertible we pick just as well...

- Becca S.
Wesley 10/20/05

kimbe
02-19-2006, 06:59 PM
DD once cried for an entire mile while in the carseat while in the stroller. I kept thinking, she will just fall asleep and she did, sigh, after a mile of walking. I felt so helpless, there was nothing I could do, couldn't take her out (not so good road.) I felt like the worst mother in the world. Needless to say, we never strolled with the bucket again!

octmom
02-19-2006, 07:10 PM
My DS *hated* his Snugride with a passion. When he was two months old, he screamed for nearly nine hours from NY to VA. DH and I were near screaming by the time we finally got home. We moved him to a Britax MA at four months and he was happier, but things got even better when we turned him FF. I think he was around 17 months, but I honestly don't remember anymore.

I'm planning to order a new bucket, probably a Chicco Key Fit, for DD on the way. They seem much cozier than the Snugride we used for DS (didn't have the nicer padding that some do). We'll use the old Snugride as a backup in DH's car. I really hope DD is a happier rider than DS was as an infant.

Jerilyn
DS, Sean 10/03
DD is scheduled to arrive via c/s on March 21! :)

"Baby makes days shorter, nights longer, home happier, and love stronger."

cbm
02-19-2006, 10:03 PM
Same problem here. Hated the Snugride. I moved him to the Boulevard and I haven't heard him at all.

C.

DS 12/18/04

renefjr
02-20-2006, 11:23 AM
Our DS loved his maxi cosi cabrio, especially with the footmuff during the cold weather. He's 6 months now so we've moved him to the BV. I think he actually prefers his cabrio!

kphil
02-20-2006, 01:44 PM
My first two HATED the Snugride. Screamed through every car ride to the point that I dreaded having to go somewhere in the car. Both improved dramatically when switched to Britax RAs. They were both kids who didn't like being put in something other than human arms, anyway, but they did tolerate the convertible.

We just had our 3rd, and have a Chicco KeyFit. He is one month and still doing really well in it in the car, though he'll get fussy if we stop for a long time while he's awake. He doesn't hang out in the seat at all while awake, though. I never carry him in the seat--I use a sling/pouch when we're out.

I think it's a combination of personality and discomfort. I really think the Snugride is uncomfortable for some babies.

Kirsten