PDA

View Full Version : I think DS is outgrowing is MA? Where do we go from here??

wdland45
02-20-2006, 09:23 AM
I love our MAs. I have both boys in them now. When I picked them out, I was sure that I would be keeping them in these seats until they hit 65 lbs. Unfortunately, I think DS1 is outgrowing it. Not because of weight or height, but because of the darned crotch buckle. Everytime we put him in the seat he complains and cries that his penis is being smooshed. And he complains the entire trip until I unbuckle him from the seat. I've tried adjusting the shoulder harnasses, but there is just too much room up there and I don't feel safe.

I don't know where to turn from here. He is 4 and just hitting 40 lbs and is 43 inches, so I could do a booster (or convertible booster), but I do have some requirements. 1) I really like the 5 point harness and prefer that over the car's seat belt system (harder for him to get out of). 2) I really need a narrow seat. We are TTC #3, and will need to fit 3 across, so in planning for the future, a narrow seat is a must. 3) I wish it could be LATCH, but I think he is getting close to being too heavy for using LATCH anyway (please correct me if I am wrong). 4) Price is somewhat of a consideration, but not over the safety of my boys. I think that's it.

I was going to post on the Toddler Board, but there is so much more traffic here. So, please, share your thoughts. I am reading all the other posts, but I am just getting confused. Don't know what to do. TIA. I really appreciate it.

Danielle

kristine_elen
02-20-2006, 09:45 AM
We just bought the Regent by Britax and absolutely love it. 5-pt harness to 80 pounds. Much safer than booster. But it's quite wide, so I'm not sure you could fit three seats, I know you couldn't in my little Corolla but I don't know what kind of car you have. Part of me secretly covets minivans and if we ever had a third baby then I might consider getting one (though a third would be a HUGE accident and definitely not on our agenda).

o_mom
02-20-2006, 10:42 AM
What kind of car do you have?

Three across is tough sometimes. A booster is actually harder to fit sometimes because you have to get in between to buckle every time.

I think the Radian is the narrowest high weight seat out, but there are reports it is hard to install.

If you think you could fit three Britax - the DC has the adjustable crotch strap which gives more room. You could pass the MA off to the baby later or sell it. Or plan for the baby to "inherit" the DC, by which time you might be OK with a booster for DS1 (5.5yrs).

Other than that the Apex - which might actually fit better because it is lower to the seat, and might fit under the "arms" of a MA next to it in a three across.

Just some random thoughts on the subject!

jeanum
02-20-2006, 03:19 PM
I recently read either on this board or another carseat board that the Decathlon's 3 crotch harness positions don't give you any more room than the one crotch slot does in the MA. The largest crotch harness position on the Decathlon measures exactly the same as the only one on the MA and the other two positions on the Decathlon are smaller. Sadly, the Decathlon doesn't sound like it would be an improvement for your son's comfort. Sorry I don't have a better answer for you, but wanted to pass on the Decathlon info.

Regards,

Jean