PDA

View Full Version : HELP! I hate my britax marathon!

kdw72697
02-22-2006, 07:29 PM
I must be the only person who does!

I bought it for my 5-month-old on the advice of this forum and just about EVERY parent I know. It got rave reviews all around. But now that I'm using it, I am less than pleased.

Perhaps some of you more experienced users out there can help me resolve some of the issues I'm having (or recommend another seat). FYI, dd is average size and is usually dressed in relatively thin layers - no bulky snowsuits.

1) the buckle is always trapped under the baby's bottom.
I've read in previous posts that this is common to all car seats, but still... The distance from the "buckle hole" to the seat back seems awfully short on this seat.

If it was just a matter of fishing around underneath her to get the buckle out, I'd manage. The problem is that I can barely get my fingers behind it to properly buckle her in or to squeeze and release the buckle when getting her out. She thrashes and arches her back about 80% of the time, but I'm even having problems the 20% of the time she is a model citizen. :) I don't see ANY room for growth there. Am I doing something wrong?

2) The velcro strips don't really line up. I have to pull the straps as taught as possible and squish the seat fabric downward in order to make the connection between them. This is tricky without 2 hands (and the aforementioned screaming baby is usually in one), so in the end the straps just stay in the seat.

3) The straps twist every time.

I of course threw away the box, so I likely cannot return it.

Any advice welcome!

Kelly in
NJ

schums
02-22-2006, 07:50 PM
Sometimes it takes a little time to adjust to a new carseat. The MA is definitely different than an infant seat. Here's a few ideas that might make it a little easier.

1. The buckle will ALWAYS go under her bottom. Either remember to flop it forward when you take her out or before you put her in, or just fish it out like we do. I don't think there's much you can do about it. And FWIW, it does happen with ALL car seats. As for the lack of room issue, make sure you're loosening the straps EVERY time you take her out This will let the buckle come forward quite a ways, and then you can get your fingers in there much easier. Same with putting her in -- buckle everything up and then tighten the harness.

2. I'm not sure about what velcro you're talking about. Do you mean the strips on the seat itself that are supposed to hold the straps out of the way? As far as I know, no one actually uses them for the very reason you mention. It's not a great feature. If you just loosen the straps quite a bit, you can flip them over the sides of the MA and not have to use the velcro. That's what we do (if we do anything, otherwise, we just pull them out from under DD when we put her in the next time).

3. Yeah, the straps twist a little in the process of putting baby in and out, but it shouldn't be twisted coming out of the actual car seat itself. If it is twisted coming out of the slots, I'd pull the seat out and make sure the straps are in the seat correctly, and if so, I'd call Britax and request new straps.

HTH, and you will get used to the new seat!!

Sarah
Mom to Alex (3/2002) and Catherine (8/2003)

kristine_elen
02-22-2006, 07:58 PM
I'll just throw some stuff out there, not that I am implying you are as slow as I was when it comes to this seat.

When we installed the Marathon, we did it totally wrong. (And we even had it checked by a pro.)

Is the seat belt going through the rear-facing path (under baby's legs) or the forward-facing path (behind baby's back). I didn't even realize there was a separate rear-facing slot/path at first.

Is your seat belt on top of the harness straps, in the part of the underside of the seat that's just below baby's butt? That will really affect the way the straps work. The harness straps should be above the seat belt.

The strap that you pull to make the harness tighter was routed incorrectly in ours. (Also consulted a pro on this.) I no longer have the photo of the correct way, but I will attach a photo of how the strap is NOT supposed to look.

Maybe the harness strap was twisted when you hooked it onto that metal clip in the back? My straps never twist.

Yes, the harness straps have to be pulled out almost all the way to get the velcro to work. (The velcro is only for putting baby in car, not for when you're driving.) When you're taking baby out, you can pull the harness almost as loose as it will go, that just before you put baby back in, you can just use one hand to move the straps over. If all is installed correctly, you will have tons of extra strap and they will easily lay over the sides of the seat so you can easily insert baby.

I'd also get on your cordless or cell and call Britax while you're looking at the seat and explain your questions. They are very helpful and have walked me through things before.

I used to hate the seat, but once I got all this stuff figured out, I really liked it.

photo of INCORRECTLY routed strap attached.

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/32325.jpg

kellyotn
02-22-2006, 08:02 PM
Sorry you hate it! Not everyone likes everything. ;)

Ok, 1) Yes, the crotch strap is short, too short. I left the belly pad on just so I have something extra to grab. I kinda swoop my RF kiddo in with one hand under his bum the other on his back. I kinda slide him down the seatback and brush the buckle out from under his bum. Works really well. Most people loosen the straps every time to buckle and unbuckle easier. (I don't, I would rather strain to get them closed than to pull the adjuster, but most do that.) With the FF kid, I need to dig it out. But, same thing with the Scenera in the other car. She's old enough to help me out ("scoot over", etc.)

2) I don't bother with the velcro things with the RF kiddo. Don't know why. With the FF kiddo I sharply pull them to the side and they attach. If they don't, I guess it doesn't bother me. Most seats don't have this anyways, so its not a deal-breaker.

3) Do you have the shoulder pads on? They are the same material as your seat? They are optional, for comfort only. I use them in the summer, not in the winter. Take them off if it makes them less twisty. The rubber HUGS pads are also optional for rear facing, so you can remove them if it makes it easier. But, don't lose them! You need them for front facing as they are required then. :)

I hope you grow to like it! If not, there's always craigslist. Or, some places with take seats back w/o the box.....

o_mom
02-22-2006, 08:35 PM
1. Lift the cover up and look at the crotch strap to make sure it isn't trapped under the seatbelt (unless you used LATCH) Otherwise, as PP said, they are all like that - I have a RA, DC and Scenera and they all do that.

2. They don't always line up, and I find it gets better over time as the cover stretchs a little and the padding gets smooshed. Loosening the straps will help.

3. Take the comfort pads and HUGS off (but don't lose them)

kdw72697
03-15-2006, 11:39 PM
THANKS so much to all of you for your advice!

I finally did remove both the HUGS and the fabric belt-covers, then re-installed the seat. That alone made a tremendous difference. I guess those pieces work fine on an older infant or toddler, but they ran just about the full length of my 4-month-old's torso! They made the straps almost rigid and hard to handle.

I also took your suggestions to REALLY loosen the belt every time I remove her, so that the buckles can hang over the sides and are out of the way when I have to put her back in for the next trip. That also works great. Don't know why I didn't think to do that in the first place! :) No more fishing around under her squirming body for the buckles.

The crotch strap/buckle is still a little too close for my comfort, but I'm getting better at keeping it from getting stuck underneath her every time.

I no longer hate my Marathon. yay! and Thanks!!

Kelly