PDA

View Full Version : Which is best to buy?

kendrasmom
02-22-2006, 08:31 PM
My daughter will be three months next week, she is already 15 lbs and 25 inches. The car seat I have is only good to 22 lbs and 26 inches and she is almost at the top of the car seat. So now I have to look for another car seat and I don't know which one to buy. I've heard alot about the Britax, but to tell you the truth that is way out of our price range. So which is better to buy?

Thank you so much for all your help.

Thanks
Nat

Kat_Mom2D_J_andRuthie
02-23-2006, 01:25 AM
the height limit is more of a guesstimate... as long as her head is more than 1" from the top of the hard plastic shell, she's fine... but once she outgrows it by height, the seat is outgrown...

same as weight, though that limit is a stone number.

our top pics are the Britax Marathon, Decathalon, Boulevard.

our top non-britax pics are cheaper britaxs... under the fisher price name...

then the Cosco Scenera.

Kat

mariza
02-23-2006, 08:24 AM
Just out of curiosity, which seat do you currently have? I thought that all of the seats that held 22lbs also went up to either 29 or 30 inches in height? I just looked at the BRU website and did not see any seats that held 22lbs and didn't go to at least 29".
Like PP mentioned, we all love our Britax's. After my DD outgrew her Snugride we got a Britax RA for DH's car and a MA for my car.

kendrasmom
02-23-2006, 12:10 PM
Mariza, I have the Evenflo Portabout 3 and it says on the sticker 5-22 lbs and 19-26 inches. And her head is about an 1 inch to the top so it is time for a new seat.

kendrasmom
02-23-2006, 12:12 PM
Kat, she has about an inch left, so it's time for a new one and the Britax are out of the question, way too expensive. He in Canada the only one available is the Marathon I believe and it is $350. Too rich for my blood.

kellyotn
02-23-2006, 12:47 PM
Is the Cosco Scenera available there? Its a GREAT price (at least in the States), and it has much taller slot heights than many 40 lb seats. (ie, you'll have a better chance of the child actually making it to 40 lbs in the seat before outgrowing it by height).

Pretty much, what I see recommended here is a "big Britax" or a Cosco Scenera! :) I have an MA and a Scenera for my daughter and it works really well. She's 3.5 and nearing the end of the Scenera though, don't know what to do next!

mariza
02-23-2006, 01:18 PM
That stinks, I didn't see any of those when I did my BRU search. Lots of people seem to like the Cosco Scenera and it's around $40 US, I believe it is available in Canada too. Good Luck!

Kat_Mom2D_J_andRuthie
02-23-2006, 01:23 PM
it's only been a recent change that has caused seatmakers to change things... because they changed the test dummy.

the original snugrides went to 20lbs 26"

evenflos were 22lbs 26"

coscos were 22lbs 29"

for once, cosco did us a favor... lol.

Kat

Kat_Mom2D_J_andRuthie
02-23-2006, 01:24 PM
okay... didn't know you were in Canada... that definitely changes my recommendations.

I would recommend picking up the cosco scenera for 80 bucks at walmart... that's the canadian price.

it's 40 dollars in the US... so it's a pretty fair canadian price.

it will only go to 30lbs rf, because of being canadian, but it still has the tallest back

Kat

Kat_Mom2D_J_andRuthie
02-23-2006, 01:26 PM
how much does she weigh?

if she's well under 40lbs, you could get an Evenflo Bolero, which will make a good booster for when she does hit 40lbs and has tall slots like the marathon.

otherwise, maybe one of the fisher-price bigger seats?

Kat