PDA

View Full Version : About the Radian

Kidrepair
02-23-2006, 03:15 PM
Anyone else out there interested in the Radian, does it bug you when you go on the Sunshine Kids website and it shows 3 Radians in a row, that they are showing them in captains chairs (8 seater Sienna or 8 seater Venture). Of course they are going to fit, I would think 3 Husky/Regents would fit in those seats. Also, does anyone know if they come with the belly pad and comfort strap covers, some pics show the seats with them and some show without.

reseam
02-23-2006, 06:15 PM
The seat does interest me, but what bothers me is seeing them installed with the Mighty Tite in some of their pictures. Of course they make that contraption so I suppose they consider it "publicity" for it. It's a shame though, not saying it's not a good seat..just saying it's a shame they make that thing!

Rese

murphydog77
02-23-2006, 07:18 PM
I don't know about the captain's chairs, but I sure couldn't get a satisfactory install in any position of the 3rd row of my Sienna. I didn't have time to try it in my captain's chairs, but I also have a 7-seater.

As for the strap covers and belly pad, yes, they should come with the seat.

Heather, CPS Tech
http://www.CarSeatSite.com

lcburnstx
02-25-2006, 09:50 PM
I just received one and it came with both the belly pad and strap protectors. Unfortuately, I may be selling it so let me know if you are interested. We purchased it for the purpose of travel and my husband says it's too heavy to carry around the airport. Where we bought it from charges a restocking fee so it may end up on ebay. Make sure you check the return policies...I really didn't anticipate returning it.

Joolsplus2
02-26-2006, 09:40 AM
The first thing I noticed about that picture is that the harness adjuster straps are so short :D (they actually DID make the first batch WAY too short, but all seats made after 2/1/06 have longer straps).

Julie CPS Tech and mom to 3 in seats
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx

Kidrepair
02-27-2006, 01:39 PM
Thanks for the offer, I wish I was ready to make that decision right now. I am only 11 weeks pregnant, and we have a Baby Trend LL that hopefully we can use for 6 months. So we have about a year before we have to worry about a new seat. This also depends on our car situation, I am interested in the Radian if we cannot afford a van by then, right now we have a Jeep Gr. Cherokee. So if we end up with a van I think I will just get a second Marathon, and keep my 2 yr. old in hers. I just don't think I am going to fit 2 MA's in the car I have right now.

SusanMae
02-27-2006, 07:56 PM
I wonder what their directions for the seat say. Every other seat out there says not to used any aftermarket product....yadda yadda...we all know the drill.

Any body who has the seat want to dig through their directions and see what it says about using a belt tightening device?

Susan

thing1andt2
02-28-2006, 09:15 PM
Hello
What was the problem with the Sienna? I have a 2005, and was planning on installing one of the seats in the 3rd row.
Thanks for your time
Beth

thing1andt2
02-28-2006, 09:16 PM
Of course I just orderd from Albee so I am sure it isn't manufactured after 2/06. Do you think they would send me the straps since it is a problem they seem to have acknowledged?

thing1andt2
02-28-2006, 10:17 PM
Does anyone know if all the slots on the Radian are reinforced?

Joolsplus2
03-01-2006, 09:17 AM
Boy, I sure hope so... I've heard that they are pretty nice folks and they probably shouldn't be too difficult about sending new straps if you need them.

:)

Joolsplus2
03-01-2006, 09:18 AM
Good question...I'm assuming they are, since they make such a big to-do about being 'the strongest seat on the market', but I'll see if I can find out (isn't the manual online? might want to look, I think I hear the baby waking up from her brisk morning nap ;) )

strollerfreak
03-01-2006, 09:59 AM
Yes, all of the slots on the Radian are reinforced.

I purchased one for my oldest son. However, I have yet to get an acceptable forward facing installation in any vehicle (save the front seat of my husband's Mustang for an emergency situation) with the vehicle belt. I have tried 4 seating positions in my 1999 Suburban with no success, 2 seating positions in a 2008 Ford Escape, and the backseat of my DH's 1998 Mustang.

Kind of defeats the purpose of having a seat that can harness to 65lbs if you can't get it installed with a vehicle belt since you must use the vehicle belt to install it once the child reaches 48lbs and LATCH is no longer an option.

It is EXTREMELY heavy, and very top heavy so it falls over onto it's back all the time if you have it unfolded and sitting around. It's heavier than a Marathon. I honestly would rather travel with a Marathon than the Radian.

Sunshine Kids had a really good idea, but TOTALLY and completely missed the mark.

strollerfreak
03-01-2006, 10:03 AM
This seat is really very good for a 3 across situation, if it would actually install with an acceptable installation.

I would be able to get 3 of them across in a Ford Escape, if I could get an acceptable installation with the vehicle belt in the center. I haven't been able to yet, but I need to get my "fluffier" hubby to try for me since he's got an extra 80lbs on me.

Joolsplus2
03-01-2006, 11:35 AM
Thanks for all the info, Mel!