PDA

View Full Version : UPDATED with details was Britax wizard?

Globetrotter
02-23-2006, 05:26 PM
My SIL is considering a Wizard for her almost five year old but can only find it in two places online. Is it being discontinued??

I bought one a few years ago, so she's going by my recommendation, but i was wondering if it's been replaced by another model. I haven't researched car seats in some time!

ETA:

I got the measurements from my SIL.

Weight: approx. 35 lbs
Height: little less than 41 inches

Current carseat is Century SmartMove. Shoulder harness in top slot.

I hope that helps to clarify things. I really appreciate your guidance on this! Thanks again.

Kris

kimbe
02-23-2006, 05:49 PM
It has been replaced by the Boulevard.

Globetrotter
02-23-2006, 06:38 PM
Well, that certainly explains it :) Thanks!!

Her son is almost five years old, but small for his age. Would this be the best car seat for him? She wants to keep him in a car seat, vs. a booster.

Kris

Kat_Mom2D_J_andRuthie
02-23-2006, 08:41 PM
what seat is he in now?

where is he in relation to the top slots?

how much does he weigh?

Globetrotter
02-23-2006, 10:01 PM
I will ask my SIL - I think around 35 lb?? He's on the small side. They do have a convertible that he is in now, but that seat will go into her friend's car, since she'll be driving our nephew sometimes, as my SIL is about to have a baby! She needs a new car seat for her minivan, to replace the convertible.

Kris

hipmaman
02-23-2006, 10:35 PM
My son will be 5 in May and is tall (long torso) but skinny (37 lbs). He still fits in his WZ well. The only think is that I worry that he might be getting tall for it sooner than I like because of his long torso.

Splash
02-24-2006, 05:01 PM
He'd be better off in a Husky. It's cheaper and will last longer. But only if she has top tethers in her car, short buckle stalks for the seatbelts, and ROOM for that monster!

Kat_Mom2D_J_andRuthie
02-24-2006, 05:14 PM
He'd probably get more use out of the Husky or the Recaro Youngsport... the Youngsport harnesses to 40lbs, with top slots same as the marathon, so it would only be a good choice if he's long and skinny... but it makes an AWESOME booster... so if she doesn't like the Husky, I'd consider this.

Kat

Scatterbunny
02-26-2006, 01:14 PM
Top tether anchors are only required when the child is over 50 pounds. Britax recommends them at all times, though.

Short buckle stalks aren't really a necessity; I twist mine down. Three full twists of the buckle stalk to bring the buckle down out of the belt path is perfectly fine. The serpentine belt path (an alternate belt path to the traditional short belt path every other carseat uses) helps alleviate this problem, too.

Finally, the Husky is only 2 inches wider than a Marathon. It is heavy, and the shape of it makes it hard to fit in the vehicle door sometimes, but once it is in there, on the vehicle seat, it really isn't that monstrous.

If she wants to keep him harnessed past 5-6, go for a Husky/Regent. If he'll move into a booster at about that age, go with the Wizard.

Kat_Mom2D_J_andRuthie
02-26-2006, 05:27 PM
okay... since he's already in the top slots and he's over 40" tall, even if he's really leggy, he'd get so much more room in the Regent/Husky.... but if she only cares about harnessing him to 40lbs and wants to move him to a booster after that, I think the Recaro Youngsport would be a better choice because I just don't seeing this kid outgrowing the Wizard/BOulevard by more than 40lbs.

the Recaro has tall top slots and makes an AWESOME booster... it has such great padding and support and protection.

But I'd still like to see him get the Regent.

Kat