PDA

View Full Version : Carbon fiber infant seat? I think DH is nuts.

babystuffbuff
02-26-2006, 05:19 PM
We were at The Right Start yesterday and after examining and lifting every infant carseat in the store (Graco, Peg, Combi, even the wonderful Key Fit) DH proclaimed them all "way too heavy". He wants to invent a seat made of carbon fiber. He's serious: he's going to talk to a guy he knows through work who works for a racing shell manufacturer (the shells are made of carbon fiber) and pitch the idea to him!

I do think that the new seats with the higher limits are noticeably heavier than the old ones, and I know carbon fiber is very light, but wouldn't it also break/shatter in a crash? *sigh*

Sarah

Auntie to my seven angels

Kat_Mom2D_J_andRuthie
02-26-2006, 05:23 PM
well, he wouldn't be able to use it until it went through production, testing, and government approval, but you never know.

he might have something there.

Kat

jeanum
02-26-2006, 06:52 PM
It's an interesting idea but IIRC, carbon fiber is an uber expensive material and would be very cost prohibitive to develop and market such a seat. I'm thinking of expensive carbon fiber bicycles and race car applications and how material costs alone could result in a very pricy carseat. Of course the advantage of such a seat could be worth it if money were no object.

Regards,

Jean

Scatterbunny
02-27-2006, 03:58 PM
Carbon fiber is VERY prone to shattering/breaking if it has been weakened any in the past (dropping, hitting, or even exposing to the elements of heat and cold), I wouldn't want a seat made out of it, even if it was lighter.

My dh is a bow hunter and used carbon fiber arrows for awhile--until one of them split right as he released it from the bow and the back half of the arrow went through his hand. 3ish years later and he's still got slivers of carbon fiber working out of his hand.

jeanum
02-27-2006, 04:26 PM
Yikes and mega ouch! I definitely wouldn't want a seat made of this stuff either if it is that prone to shattering. I'm shuddering at the thought now of what could happen when subjected to crash forces, especially in a carseat exposed to temp extremes in a hot car parked out in the sun and/or frigid winter temperatures. Thanks for sharing your insight on this.

Kat_Mom2D_J_andRuthie
02-28-2006, 01:13 PM
OMG... definitely can't use THAT then.

Kat

Joolsplus2
03-01-2006, 09:02 AM
I bet it would cost as much as this thing, anyway http://www.baby-outfitters.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=1502 (wonder what that weighs, btw?).

Yeah, seats are definitely weighty now...I have a FP Stay in View and it weighs nothing compared to my other new seats (the Combi Connection is really light, if you want to at least look at THAT...we like ours a lot...)

:)
Julie CPS Tech and mom to 3 in seats
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx