PDA

View Full Version : Safeseat won't fit our car! What about other RF convertible seats???

Katigre
02-26-2006, 10:11 PM
We registered for the Graco Safeseat and received it as a gift today. I was really excited to have a RF seat that would last for so long before we'd need to buy convertibles.

We own a 2005 Scion Xa and although i faithfully scour the Carseat Compatibility Database at least once a month, it is still is not listed on there so I have no way to check compatibility ratings from other owners.

Unfortunately, the Safeseat is too long to fit in the back seat of the car unless you pull the passenger seat all the way up (same issue if i try to put it in the middle row seat). The base fits fine, but once you add the carseat with the handle down there's just not enough space.

Now i'm wondering what in the world to do--because if we go with the regular Graco Snugride we'll have to upgrade to a RF convertible in a few months anyway, and if the Safeseat won't fit RF then won't a Britax Roundabout/Marathon or Evenflo Triumph have the same issues?

I measured the Safeseat and it is ~30 inches along the widest part (with base and carseat attached--i have not tried the seat without the base yet, perhaps that would provide a bit more room?).

Anyone willing to measure the distance width-wise of their RF convertibles? I'm really worried now that we won't be able to fit any of the carseats I like into our car RF (and i had planned to keep our baby RF for hopefully 2 years!).

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
ETA: Thanks for the helpful advice! It does fit if i leave the handle up, so that's a relief. Now i just have to figure out how to get the base correctly installed...a trip to the local police dept. is in order.

o_mom
02-26-2006, 10:22 PM
Do you have to have the handle down (Snugrides don't)? Does that make a difference?

The new Snugrides go to 22 lbs/29 in, which will get you a few more months than the older seats, I would guess 5 months at least. Once you switch to a convertible, the baby is usually 4+ months old and doesn't need a newborn recline (45 deg) anymore. By installing slightly more upright (say 30-35 deg), you can usually fit even a Marathon in the same space as a Snugride. Worst case, you can fit a Roundabout - it takes 2-3 in less than a MA at the same recline angle. (I know from when I switched our Decathalon and Roundabout around.)

jeanum
02-26-2006, 10:32 PM
The Safeseat handle is like the Snugrides and can be left up in the carry position in the car, possibly allowing it to fit in a smaller vehicle.

Regards,

Jean

KrisM
02-26-2006, 10:41 PM
Do you have a Babies R Us near you? You can take their floor models out to your car and try them out for fit. You just leave your driver's license at customer service. I can try measuring my Wizard tomorrow.

Kat_Mom2D_J_andRuthie
02-28-2006, 06:07 PM
the handle can be up and the seat CAN touch (not braced so that it's pressing) the front seat, per Graco management telling someone on another board this.

Make sure the police dept. has a certified tech.

I would install it in the middle (this will also help get an easier fit) with just the seatbelt... if you have a shoulderbelt, that's fine... it has a built-in lockoff in the base.

Remember... no aftermarket products and the harnesses should always be as snug as can be.... chest clip at armpits.

Kat