PDA

View Full Version : Top Tether anchor in 3rd Row Oddyssey (2003)

mlincoln
03-01-2006, 09:33 AM
Quick question on installation of a FF MA in the 3rd row od our 2003 Oddy.

The top tether anchor for the 3rd row is behind the middle seat, we are having another anchor installed later this week for the outboard seat, but for the next few days the only top tether anchor is behind the middle seat. To install a carseat in the middle seat you can only use the lap belt and I found it impossible to get a tight installation with just the lap belt.

I can get a good install using the should/lap belt in the third row outboard seats, but can I top tether to the middle anchor? Not sure if I am safter to tether to the middle or go with no tehther at all? Any advice?

Joolsplus2
03-01-2006, 11:33 AM
What seat are you trying to install? It should be fairly easy to get a tight install in that middle seat (I know, because I have a 2003 Ody, lol)... just recline the seatback of the Ody a lot, thread the belt through the seat, tighten tighten tighten (knee in the seat, tighten the lapbelt), then pull (or get behind it and push) the seatback back upright. Voila, should be rock solid. You can use the top seatbelt if you want (and if it's a britax with a shoulderbelt lockoff I WOULD use it, other seats don't matter so much).
Julie CPS Tech and mom to 3 in seats
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx

mlincoln
03-01-2006, 10:34 PM
Thank you very much for your advice. I am installing a FF Marathon. I will re-try installing the MA in middle seat by reclinging the seat. I was having trouble getting the right leverage to tighten the lap belt enough. I will also attach the shoulder belt. The manual says to use the lap belt only when installing a seat in that position, but it seems using the should belt could only help.

Thank you again for your help.

mlincoln
03-01-2006, 10:43 PM
When you install a Britax MA in the center seat of the third row, can you get another car seat or booster on either side? Any a better fit than others?

We seem to be doing a lot carpooling DS's 5 year old friends around and would like to have an extra booster to use in the 3rd row when needed. We have Garco Turbobooster and it seems like the arm rests get in the way.

Thanks again

Joolsplus2
03-02-2006, 08:20 AM
Oh, how lame am *I*... to not know that you aren't really supposed to use the shoulderbelt in that third row center (I at least knew you didn't HAVE to use it, a shoulderbelt is never required)... I just like that extra tether function that the shoulderbelt lockoff serves with the Britaxes. Yeah, reclining the seatback should help...I never had a problem getting my MA in the center.

Hmmm... what booster next to it... It's been awhile since I tried, but yeah, I know the Turbo is too bulky... something low profile like the Evenflo Right Fit (they are on clearance at a few places last time I checked) should work, or possibly the Britax Parkway (no armrests)...or that new Fisher Price Safe Voyage booster (I think that's what it's called, it's the same as the Starriser Comfy but a little cheaper and easier to adjust... it has a VERY narrow base).

o_mom
03-02-2006, 09:13 AM
If you want to use the side positions, you can buy extra anchors from Honda and install them. There are predrilled holes under little plastic covers on the tailgate. You just have to find someone with a torque wrench to tighten them to the correct torque.

mlincoln
03-03-2006, 03:16 PM
Thanks again for the help.

I took our Oddyssey to the Honda dealer to have an extra top tether anchor installed for one of the 3rd row outboard seats. I think they installed the tether anchor in the wrong place. The dealership installed this additional anchor on the side of the cargo wall closest to the seat and almost in the middle. Based upon the owners manual and info from a previous post, it appears the anchors should be installed on the same wall as the back lift gate which means the tether strap would cut across the cargo area.

The picture in the manual is a little a confusing and I had hard time finding the pre-installed anchor for the middle seat until you ladies helped me. Now that I know what I am looking at, it seems obvious and I can see the plugs where you can put the two outboard anchors.

I guess we will be going back or finding someone with a torque wrench. At least we have the part now, so hopefully it will be an easy fix.

Joolsplus2
03-03-2006, 03:32 PM
Oh, genius! NOT! He installed it on the bolt where you are supposed to secure your flat tire if you have to put on the spare!

Check out the first three pictures on that page http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/tcaviller/album?.dir=30c5&.src=ph&store=&prodid=&.done=http%3a//pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/tcaviller/my_photos YES, the little plastic caps right under the door, basically next to the already-installed center anchor are where the tether anchors are supposed to go...you found the right ones :)

o_mom
03-03-2006, 04:11 PM
Please tell me you didn't pay them for the install!!! I would take it back or ask for your money back if you did. That is so not right.

Make sure they didn't strip the threads at all trying to put it in the wrong hole. If they look at all damaged, insist that they give you a new one at no charge.