PDA

View Full Version : Graco Snugride or Combi Connection

shel1
03-01-2006, 10:36 AM
I am a first time expectant Mommy. I am new to this board and hope you more experienced Moms can help me with my infant seat confusion. I have narrowed my choices to the Graco Snugride or Combi Connection. I am only 5 foot tall and not super strong so I need a lightweight seat. Also, I drive a Saturn Ion that has an adequate but not super large backseat so size of seat is an issue. Of course safety is also a very important concern. My car has LATCH but my husbands 2002 Nissan Maxima does not have LATCH so ease of installment with seatbelt is a concern. It may also be used in my Mom cars sometimes without the base so ease of installment without the base in a concern. Please give me any advice you have on which one of these seats I should chose. Thanks so much.

Joolsplus2
03-01-2006, 11:22 AM
I like them both, really... And you should 'play' with them and see which seems lightest and has the easiest to adjust harness (I think both are pretty good, so it's a personal preference thing). Both can have the handle up in the car (it's optional for the SR, required for the Combi), so that makes things a little easier to deal with (not having to put the handle down every time!).

What you DO need to do is find out about your seatbelt/LATCH situation. Most parents prefer to install their infant seat in the middle, if possible, and you need to find out if you have a designated LATCH position (ie, not just the two bars from the window seats) or see what kind of seatbelt you'll be working with. The reason is: The Connection is much better to install if you have to use a lap and shoulderbelt. The Snugride will almost always require a locking clip if you have to use a lap/shoulderbelt, which can be kind of a pain. Check the link in my sig, and go to 'locking in a carseat' on the left of the page, and it shows different kinds of seatbelts and how they work, and get out your car manual and see what it says, too.

:)
Julie CPS Tech and mom to 3 in seats
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx

shel1
03-01-2006, 11:38 AM
Thanks Julie

Do you have any opinions on which one is easier to install in a car without using the base. It may get used in my Mom's car sometimes without a base.

Joolsplus2
03-01-2006, 11:57 AM
They are both really easy without the base, but I slightly prefer the Connection (it has a European style baseless install, where the shoulderbelt goes around the back of the seat, if it can reach...it takes a second to learn, but it's really nice).

rds97
03-02-2006, 09:33 AM
I have the Combi Connection and it's great - very easy to install with or without the base (we had to use the lap/shoulder belt instead of LATCH for the base since it just wasn't compatible with our car's LATCH system). I can't comment on the Snugride since I haven't used it, but I have no complaints about the Connection. I personally think the Combi is cushier for baby and looks cooler, just compared to my friends who have Snugrides.

- Becca S.

Oregonmother
03-02-2006, 05:55 PM
Julie,
So you can keep the handle up with the snugride in the car? If so thanks! I thought I always had to pt it down.

Joolsplus2
03-03-2006, 09:21 AM
Yup, you can leave the SR handle up...the manual is as clear as mud, but tells you you can leave it in positions A, D and E when in the car...and A is 'up', so you can leave it up.

:)