PDA

View Full Version : Scenera vs. FP Safe Embrace?

tjham
03-02-2006, 05:32 PM
My almost 5 yr. old granddaughter just outgrew the FPSE. MFG date - 5-01 (BTW, the straps are still in PERFECT condition - NO twisting!) and I bought her a Bolero for her mom's car. So far they like it! But now I have a choice. When he was 6 months, I bought a Scenera for my car for occasional use for my 10 month old grandson. I don't keep it installed all the time. I just finally figured out how to get a really good install with latch. But now I can switch to the SE, which I love, but which does not have latch. So today I took out the Scenera and installed the SE with the shoulder, lap belt in the center of my 2005 Expedition. In a way, I miss the latch! I just got it all figured out!

If you had both, which would you use?

Kat_Mom2D_J_andRuthie
03-02-2006, 10:24 PM
since the Safe Embrace is good for 8yrs... I'd use that... latch is great, but the real factor is which seat is easier for you to use... which gets a tighter install?

I know latch can be so easy to hook up, but isn't that Safe Embrace good to 50lbs?

if you've got 2more years left, I'd go with that one as your 10mo old grandson could be outgrown of the Scenera before that, depending on how big he is.

Kat

tjham
03-02-2006, 10:59 PM
It's good to 40 lbs. My granddaughter is only 33 lbs. but her shoulders are almost even with the top slots. She probably would still have been OK for awhile longer but I wanted the Bolero!

Kat_Mom2D_J_andRuthie
03-03-2006, 12:22 AM
ah... thought it was 40, but then when I was checking, I saw 50 on eopinions... they must have been talking about the futura.

hey... the bolero is a great seat, more big-kid for a forward facing child, too... she's 5 and probably wants a more big-girl seat than the baby. I know that was an issue for my oldest before his brother rode in the Marathon.... then he realized that big boys can fit in harnesses, too. He still prefers the Husky/Regent as it is more big boy, but I still had to explain to him, when I wanted him to ride in the Husky to school, cause it was faster and his brother was still asleep and his dad was home, that the seats were the same size and that it wasn't too small for him...

but I would use whichever one fits your car and the baby better.

Joolsplus2
03-03-2006, 09:19 AM
LOL, and the Futura is good to 60... I guess the epinioner just picked an average and ran with it!

:D

I agree... either seat is great (and the Safe Embrace has EPS foam for side impact head protection, too), so go with whatever works best.

:)
Julie CPS Tech and mom to 3 in seats
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx

Piglet
03-03-2006, 11:45 AM
I have both these seats so I can comment a little bit. The FPSE is our secondary car seat in DH's car and the Scenera is in my dad's car for occasional use with DS2. The FPSE is an amazing seat - I love the built in lock-offs, the non-twisty straps, the EPS foam (way before its time) and the metal frame that make it seem somehow sturdier (not sure if it makes a difference, but I love it). The only negative that I have found is that the seat has very little padding. Otherwise, I have never had a single problem with that seat and we affectionately call it the Barcalounger because DS1 looked so so comfy in it (padding or not). In fact, the only seat that came close to having all the features that I had become accustomed to was the Britax, so when DS2 came on the scene and we needed a 2nd seat for my car, I had to buy a Britax because I was spoiled with the FP.

As for the Scenera, I actually really like it too, but not at all like the love affair I have with my FP. It has high slots, weighs very little (great for travel), is easy to use and while it also lacks padding, the cover feels softer than the FP. The LATCH is a nice feature too, but honestly, I had a heck of a time getting a tight install with LATCH in my dad's Oldsmobile. I finally got a great install after watching a video posted by murphydog. With the FP, I have gotten a great install every time I have tried without LATCH. I don't think that LATCH is safer, but it can help parents get a tight install. In my case, I get a tight install with or without LATCH, so I don't care for it all that much. To boot, neither of our cars has LATCH, so I never paid much attention to it until recently. I do know what you mean though about finally figuring it out - once I figured out the LATCH install in the Scenera, I wanted to shout it from the rooftops. I actually made my dad go out to his car and try to wiggle the seat, which he couldn't budge!

So bottom line, I would use the FP until the end of its short-ish life (mine is also a 2001) and then you will still have 3 or so years on your Scenera. That is what I am planning to do with our seats at this point.

kellyotn
03-03-2006, 04:36 PM
I'd say FPSE. I love that seat, my first convertible. (sigh).

I'm very pleased with the Scenera, don't get me wrong. Its definitely taller and SO light. And for $40 - awesome.

But the FP has a nicer buckle and chest clip. The Scenera's are both just sooooo big. I constantly scratch either myself or my daughter on the chest clip. I hate that design, very awkward/bulky. And the buckle is just so large.

And I think the FP's straps are nicer, "no twist" and they mean it! Don't even get me started on how much more I like the looong crotch strap.

I guess the minimal padding thing has never really bugged us. The fabric is soft and none of the three riders has ever seemed uncomfy in it! We are road warriors and they are happy riders.