PDA

View Full Version : Long trip in carseat questions

momtojack
03-03-2006, 10:00 AM
Hi everyone,

We will be taking a 12 hour car trip (over 2 days) soon, and I need some advice. DS is 8 months old and RF in a BV. I have 2 questions:

1. Now that we are out of the SR and don't have the hood anymore, I am having trouble finding a way to keep the sun out of his eyes. I have tried the stick on film, but it falls off. We have a Honda CRV and the windows are not tinted at all. Any suggestions?

2. What are safe ways to entertain DS in his carseat for the long trip? Are there any toys that attach to the carseat or seatback for him to play with or are these all considered dangerous in case of an accident?

Thanks!

Shelly

Joolsplus2
03-03-2006, 03:09 PM
I think the suction cup soft shades work ok http://www.onestepahead.com/product/86220/728/117.html (uuuugh... that horrible picture of that poor kid in that overhead shield seat with the straps not in the top slots... boy, they really need to update their photos!).

And soft toys on links aren't so bad (like ringa links and the peek rattle and teethe blocks here http://www.infantino.com/Toys0.html )

And if cheerios are on the menu yet, they are a nice distracting snack.

Sit in the back with him for awhile if you can... but all in all, it shouldn't be a bad trip...I drove from San Fransisco to Houston with my 2 yo and 7 mo a couple years ago, and I only remember one or two meltdowns before I could pull over at mealtimes.

:)
Julie CPS Tech and mom to 3 in seats
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx

Kat_Mom2D_J_andRuthie
03-03-2006, 07:03 PM
does he sleep through the night yet?

if he does, try to travel during the night... that's the best bet.

momtojack
03-03-2006, 07:45 PM
Thanks for both of your replies. I just ordered the sunshades. We have links and and soft toys, but what do you attach them to - the harness straps? I do plan to spend a good part of the trip in the back with him, but don't want to have to entertain him the whole time. DS does sleep through the night for the most part, and we have debated about traveling at night. My biggest concern is that he won't sleep well in the car, especially when we have to make a rest stop. Then he will be tired and cranky when we get there and his whole schedule will be off. But night travel is still an option, and I would love to hear if this has worked for others. Thanks!

Shelly

Kat_Mom2D_J_andRuthie
03-03-2006, 08:10 PM
I would hook the link around the crotch strap... it shouldn't interfere there as it would be thinner than the buckle.

Joolsplus2
03-03-2006, 08:20 PM
I'd hook links to the metal headrest posts...I guess you'd need a dozen, though, lol... well,they can be something to LOOK at, anyway :). Yeah, try the crotch strap? That'll keep toys nice n close...
Julie CPS Tech and mom to 3 in seats
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx

Kat_Mom2D_J_andRuthie
03-03-2006, 08:56 PM
I also just realized... you could attach them to the rods that hold the latch connectors... why don't I think of these things the first time.

Glad to know I was right that it'd be okay to hook it to the crotch strap... I wasn't positive... but I thought that it wouldn't be like hooking it to the shoulder strap or leg strap.

MamaParis
03-04-2006, 11:12 AM
We've driven 14 hours STRAIGHT with our older two kids and here is what worked best for us. They were about 2 and 6 months old at the time. But we did the same trip with our oldest when she was about 8 months old.

*Music! The music in the car seemed to totally calm them down - as well as ourselves! And NOT the baby music! That just seemed to annoy them to death, as well as myself! LOL

*Toys - I brought a bag of various NEW toys that they have never seen or played with before (advice given by this board I believe .. THANKS! lol) and I would just give them a new toy and let them play with it - then when it got old to them, pull out another NEW one from my little bag! ;)

*Pit stops to change diapers and feed the baby. The last thing you want is a soacking wet car seat full of tee-tee - lol. So plan to make stops every few hours or so - to stretch your legs and change the baby and feed the baby as needed.
I also brought a large blanket and would lay it out at some of the pit stops to let the kids crawl or move around or lay around on the blanket for a short while.

* AS for the sun, we have tinited windows so it wasnt a huge deal - but the suction cup window things seemed to work for us - especially since we had that ssetting west sun facing the two RF kids as we travelled east home.

* SNACKS! Cheerios, Gerber fruit puffs, anything! New foods were always welcomed by the kids!

Thats all i can think of for now - if I remember more, I'll pos back!

carolines mommy
03-05-2006, 02:29 AM
We just drove 8 hours total from Sacramento to The Sea Ranch on the coast and back today (which we vow NEVER to do again!) For our youngest, snacks in the Snack Trap kept her entertained for quite awhile as she tried to get them out of there. Soft cloth books or bath books are always a hit too. We have the suction cup window shades from OSA for trips in case rental cars don't have tinted windows and they work very well.

Erika
Mommy to Caroline Nov 03 and Chelsea April 05