PDA

View Full Version : Help, quick. I though LATCH was supposed to make things easier!!!

mommyoftwo
03-03-2006, 01:23 PM
I've just come from trying to install the new booster and I'm exhausted (literally). Someone tell me if I'm missing something of if my car is just a huge pain. We have a 2005 chevy classic (new name for the old style malibu) and the hooks for the latch are hidden deep in the crack between the back and the seat. I finally got the straps hooked on and then realized I need the tether which I couldn't reach until I undid the latch straps. After struggling at least 10 min to unhook it, I got the tether hooked in (at least that part was easy) and struggled to get the latch straps hooked in again. Then I tried to tighten the straps and just couldn't get it to work. I finally got the seat so it only moves about 1.5-2inches in either direction but I know that's not tight enough. I must have been out there for at least 30 min and I need to leave soon. Any suggestions? I'm not sure if I can get the latch undone without a major struggle so I would like to make the latch work. Help, please.

ETA: I was kneeling in the seat to try to tighten the strap. I'm not sure what else to try.

mamaroo
03-03-2006, 02:02 PM
Sometimes it helps if you are pulling on the LATCH strap at a different angle. One thing that really worked for me is to kneel in the seat, and grab the LATCH strap with my left hand and pull it taught. Then I take my right hand and push the buckle-type-thing towards the carseat--that way you are still pulling on the end, but you are actually moving the strap closer to the seat. Does that make sense?? :-P

Kat_Mom2D_J_andRuthie
03-03-2006, 02:25 PM
Take a deep breath and relax first...

what seat do you have?

does your vehicle seat recline?

Quick tip for installation... put the tether strap over the seat (under any adjustable headrest first), loosen the latch straps all the way... turn the seat with the back facing you and fasten the latch clip to the bar furthest from you... don't cross them or anything... but take the clip that will go on that bar and fasten it.

Then, moving the seat closer to you, turning it almost all the way ff, fasten the next latch clip.

pull all slack into the side with the strap to pull to adjust it...

position your seat and get on it with your knee.

Now... pull the strap tight... tight as you can... constantly checking that all slack is on that side...

when you get it as tight as you can, thread the strap through the beltpath... lean into the seat and reach with the hand on the opposite side into the beltpath... grab that strap and pull MORE... wiggle side to side as needed on the seat.

then, when you can get it no tighter, climb off and check your seat.

it should be tight... if not, work on it some more or try the seatbelt instead... if it is tight, then do the top tether.

If your vehicle seat reclines, I can add some tips.

mommyoftwo
03-03-2006, 02:46 PM
That's what I ended up doing and eventually I got it tight enough. It was a huge pain though and it took quite a while. I hope I don't have to take the seat out any time soon! Any tips for getting the hooks off when I do need to get it out. I actually made my hand bleed working on this so I would like to make this a little easier next time around.

mommyoftwo
03-03-2006, 02:51 PM
Thanks for replying. I was installing the generations booster we just got thanks to all your imput. I tried reaching through the beltpath but couldn't get a very good grip. I did eventually get it tight enough (see above) but wow, what a job. No wonder so many people don't have their car seats installed properly. I might try using the seatbelt next time to see if it works better but I hope to not have to touch it any time soon. I think I probably got a better install this way but it was a lot of work.

Joolsplus2
03-03-2006, 02:54 PM
*Good* LATCHes make things easier, but the glorified lapbelts on Graco/Cosco/Evenflo seats are usually about as 'fun' as you've described :P.
No shame in using the seatbelt next time around... to get the LATCH undone, you need to put ALL your weight in the seat to be able to loosen the belt, so that you can reach in there and unhook it (doN'T add the seatbelt to the LATCH install you've already done, it increases chest G-forces in a crash to have both belts tight).

(((HUGS))) and cyber-bandaids for your hands!
Julie CPS Tech and mom to 3 in seats
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx

mommyoftwo
03-03-2006, 02:58 PM
Thanks! Glad to know it's not just me. Hopefully when we get the seat for Linnea, it will be a little easier. If I use the car seatbelt, I still use the tether right? Oh, and one more question. As far as I can tell, I don't need to use a locking clip on the seat belt in our car. When do you need to use it?

Joolsplus2
03-03-2006, 03:37 PM
Right, always always use the top tether for a forward facing seat. Since your car has LATCH, that means your belts lock (any car after 1997 has locking belts), and you won't need a locking clip :)
Julie CPS Tech and mom to 3 in seats
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx

Kat_Mom2D_J_andRuthie
03-03-2006, 03:58 PM
ah... that helps, too... knowing what seat.

I find it's also crucial to have the latch connectors right up next to where they come out of the beltpath... aka... not coming forward of that narrow part of the seat... it's really narrow and making sure they stay tucked back there helps get a tight install.

I do get an easier installation with a seatbelt, but only in the captain's chair... which ironically is the only place I have latch... but I like using latch because I can still flip the chair forward to let in older kids.

so I am willing to fight a little to get the install that works better for us and make sure it's tight.

you could probably lift the cover up (which I hadn't thought of before) and reach directly in that beltpath right by the adjuster... make it easier... and put the cover back down after, since it's easy like a showercap and there are no clips or ties to mess with.

Kat