PDA

View Full Version : Please help! What seats fit WELL in an XC90?! Radian? Young Sport?

mattysmom
03-03-2006, 11:00 PM
DH is NOT happy with how our FF Marathon fits in our new car (RF Roundabout is okay - for now). I know we should have tried it beforehand, but now we have the car and there's just not a lot of legroom since the seats sit up so high AND the FF one doesn't fit flush b/c of the headrest.

You don't want to know how many carseats we currently own (6 Britaxes- 2 MA, 2 RA and 2 Wizards - AGH) but we are resigned to get two new ones for my car and give our two RA to DH's sister (who needs them).

DS1 is 3 and weighs 34 lb/38 inches and DS2 is almost 1 and weighs around 22 lb. We will probably turn DS2 FF around his 1st bday (or by the summer). And the car has a built-in booster - but I don't think DS1 could use it yet, right?

I've been scouring all the archives and read about the Recaro Young Sport and the Radian - has anyone used these in the XC90 with greater success?

PLEASE HELP - DS is not happy with me and the new car that I convinced him to buy for us!

UsMominOz
03-04-2006, 03:04 AM
Have you taken off the head rest? Most cars you need to take them off because they interfer w/ the way the car seat fits.

Karleen

o_mom
03-04-2006, 07:33 AM
I think that is one of the evil cars that you can't remove them. :-(

JBaxter
03-04-2006, 07:44 AM
I have the Apex65 in my XC90 and had no problems installing it. DS is 34lbs & 38inches ( same size as yours). Personally I wouldnt ( and wont ) use the built in booster until more towards 5yrs for Nathan.

The middle of the second row on the xc90 seat has a headrest that pushes down to be flush w/ the seat back.

*** checked the manuel the intagrated booster is rated 33lbs & 38 in.

Joolsplus2
03-04-2006, 08:11 AM
I'm glad the Apex works, I'll have to recommend that one... the Radian has huge issues in tons of other cars, so don't buy unless you try first.

And please please please don't turn that baby at a year... you really, really want to go till the limits of the convertible seat, it's SO SO much safer (33 pounds or till the head is even with the top of the seat)

:)
Julie CPS Tech and mom to 3 in seats
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx

thing1andt2
03-06-2006, 03:31 PM
I just tried the Radian in my 05 Sienna and could not install tightly at all. I would not buy it unless you could try it beforehand to see if you could get a satisfactory install.

mattysmom
03-06-2006, 03:33 PM
Thanks for the info about the Apex65. So the back of it doesn't hit the headrest and stick out like the Marathon? I went to look at it at BRU and it looked just as high or maybe higher than the Marathon. I didn't have time to go and try it in the car, unfortunately.

Any other XC90 drivers out there with a FF and RF carseat? (and I will keep DS2 rearfacing past his first birthday!)

Joolsplus2
03-06-2006, 05:21 PM
<excited squeal> about the baby staying rf longer.
It might be that the Apex 'looks' tall, but because it's not on up on such a big high base like the MA, it really 'isn't' as tall, I think (???).

:)
Julie CPS Tech and mom to 3 in seats
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx

griffinmom
03-06-2006, 07:52 PM
My friend's Marathon fit (both RF and FF) perfectly in my XC90 when her DS rides with us. Our Husky has always fit well in my car too.

Have you had a tech help you with the installs?

JBaxter
03-06-2006, 08:35 PM
It sits WAY lower than my triumph did. I have a friend who has one for her son in an odyssy and she mentioned it was odd to see her DS sitting so low.

JBaxter
03-06-2006, 08:37 PM
Mattysmom -- send me your email addy and I'll take a picture of the seat installed in my XC90.

mattysmom
03-07-2006, 07:43 AM
thanks so much - i sent you a pm with my email!