PDA

View Full Version : Help! My 18+ lb. 26.5 in. 4 month old is too big for his Snugride but

krtsinohio
03-07-2006, 09:25 PM
I don't feel ready to put him in our Roundabout just yet, the lack of portability will be really challenging at this time. Any suggestions for another infant seat that will buy us a few more months of portability (and really big biceps)????

Thanks!

Kelly

o_mom
03-07-2006, 09:49 PM
Is he really too big? The height limit is just a guideline - you can use it until his head is an inch from the top of the seat. If he is, then an newer Snugride would work for a bit longer (22lb/29 in) and you could use the same base. The Safeseat goes to 30 lbs and would probably fit until 18 months or more. Otherwise, what I did was keep the Snugride in the trunk and use it as needed for shopping and restaurants.

jeanum
03-07-2006, 09:52 PM
You could try the Graco Safeseat infant seat, it's for babies up to 30 lbs. or 32 inches in height. It's similar in design to the Snugride only larger, and it has EPS foam and a built-in seatbelt lockoff in the base that made it a breeze for me to install it. I've been using it for my 8 month old for about 2 months now after she outgrew her Baby Trend Latch Loc infant seat. She's about 19 pounds and 29+ inches and is long torsoed, so she'll outgrow it by height before she reaches the weight limit. More petite babies or babies with a shorter torso could use it quite a bit longer. I missed the portability of the infant seat and got the Safeseat to get us through the winter. I really like it but it will definitely build up your biceps. However, if you're already used to carrying around your 18+ lb. baby in the Snugride, the Safeseat is only slightly heavier. HTH.

Joolsplus2
03-08-2006, 08:41 AM
maybe just use the seat as a carrier out of the car till he's sitting up? or yeah, the safeseat :)
Julie CPS Tech and mom to 3 in seats
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx

jhrabosk
03-08-2006, 09:49 AM
I'm in the same position as you as far as size and age, but I think we're definitely going to upgrade to the Britax soon...I just think DD will be more comfortable.

I was considering what the pps suggested...keep the Snugride in the trunk to use as a carrier/seat as necessary when out and about.

megs4413
03-08-2006, 07:29 PM
We had the same problem with DD at just 4 months. We went ahead and switched to the Britax and it wasn't as difficult as I thought it would be. We use the wizard so it has the little head wing things. DD was very comfortable in it. We took the snugli and stroller along for outings to carry her with. It was an adjustment, but safety wise and money wise it was the best decision for us. Good luck! What a wonderful thing to have a healthy, growing baby!