PDA

View Full Version : Evenflo vs Cosco for Grandma's car?

becky7700
03-11-2006, 12:57 AM
I am looking for a second convertible car seat for Grandma's car for my 19 month old DD. I was hoping to buy a less expensive one, but I would like it to be fairly easy for Grandma to use. Any opinions? Thanks in advance!

Kat_Mom2D_J_andRuthie
03-11-2006, 02:51 AM
is she still rf?

if so, I'd go with the cosco Scenera.

Kat

kellyotn
03-11-2006, 09:47 AM
Cosco Scenera. :) Its nice and tall. Lots of its competitors are much shorter and will be outgrow much sooner. As a bonus, the Scenera is only $40!! Check Walmart, Kmart and Target - the colors are all different at each store. Walmart black/tan, Kmart brown, Target Navy/light blue.

BRU also has a deluxe version that's more padded for $80, I think.

The Evenflo Triumph is nice, but its a lot shorter and has a "love or hate" adjuster. Lots of Grandma's really don't like it. The Scenera's is simple.

becky7700
03-11-2006, 09:56 AM
She is still rear facing, but I've been getting pressure to turn her around. She is 22.5 pounds...any thoughts on that one?

daniele_ut
03-11-2006, 10:21 AM
Stand your ground on the rear facing issue. It is SO much safer for your DD. If people balk at it, just tell them that new research has proven it much safer for a child to stay RF to the limits of their carseat. The AAP recommendations even say a child should stay RF as long as possible, but the *minimum* for turning them around is 20lbs and 1 year.

DS is 17 months, not even 22lbs and 31" tall. He'll be RF for a long time.

Joolsplus2
03-11-2006, 11:11 AM
There's a link to the AAP statement in the page my siggy links to...that way you have THEM backing you up, at least. And try doing a search for MSNBC, because we keep posting an article from them here (I'll see if I can bump it up...someone did the other day) that 'proves' us experts are wrong to say only a year (obviously they haven't been listening to me, lol...just kidding ;))

:)
Julie CPS Tech and mom to 3 in seats
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx

jeanum
03-11-2006, 01:47 PM
As PPs have said, the Cosco Scenera is a good choice, just be sure to get the 5-point convertible Scenera, not the OHS model. HTH

Kat_Mom2D_J_andRuthie
03-12-2006, 12:55 PM
Definitely keep her rearfacing. It is so much safer.

If you get the Cosco Seat, you can always just use their ff minimums to stand your ground... the height minimum is 34".

Kat

Kat_Mom2D_J_andRuthie
03-12-2006, 12:58 PM
well, unless grandma has bad arthritis or something... make sure she can work the 5-point harness and all.

My mil is getting to that point where she can't anymore, but my boys can buckle themselves in their 5-points and are big enough to use boosters for backups, so it isn't an issue.

For Ruthie, however, if she were to go anywhere with them, I'd either want Damian to go with so that he could buckle her, or I'd want to go myself, as she is even with the top slots on the Scenera and too big for the OHS seat, then.

Kat