PDA

View Full Version : Buying new SUV or Car - Need Recommendations

heyrocco
03-11-2006, 09:04 PM
Hi. We are in the process of buying a new SUV or Car but need help finding one. We have 3 children (newborn, 18 months, and 4 yr old). So we need a car that can fit 3 car seats plus a stroller and still have room in the trunk for groceries etc. I would prefer a SUV or car over a minivan. Any recommendations woul be greatly appreciated!!!! Thanks

debsten
03-12-2006, 09:09 PM
Hi,

I have the 06 Honda Pilot which just in the 06 model now has side curtain airbags down all 3 rows. We had the 05 and loved it but for my piece of mind and the fact that this was going to be the car for the next 8 - 10 years we decided to make the change now.

I only have 2 children but I have had 3 car seats in the back before (a Wizard RF outboard and a parkway centre & bodyguard outboard), I think I have seen some people on this board that have 3 seats in the Pilot also, there was still room with those 3 seats. I now have the wizard RF outboard and Regent FF outboard and it would be tight with the Regent but depending on seat you could probably get them to mesh together. Before we bought the car I took both car seats to the dealer and tried them out in different positions to see that they would work so if you can do that with any car you might look at I would definately recommend it so you can see if it would be a hassle.

If you aren't using the 3rd row there is plenty of room in the back for stroller groceries etc. the 3rd row is a 60/40 split so even if you do need an extra seat having the 60 part still folded leaves a good bit of room.

Only thing that I would like in the Pilot is the doors automatically locking when you take off and it won't let you lock the doors with the remote unless everything is shut. With my other car I couldn't lock unless the drivers door was locked, but I liked that I could get out and get the kids doors open then lock & put my keys in my purse and get the kids out. Just little things that I have gotten used that weren't a deal breaker for me. Otherwise love the car, love how it feels a lot more like a car than some of the other SUV's and now with all the extra safety features.

If you do look at this car I recommend going to edmunds.com or cars.com and look on some of the forums and also get as many quotes as possible online, seems that is the way to get the best deal without having to go all over the place listening to salesmen try and sell you the car that day.

Good luck with whatever you end up getting, hopefully some other people with 3 children can give you some recommendations also.

HTH Debbie

hillview
03-13-2006, 02:47 PM
Ok just finished looking at 3 row SUVs ...
Honda Pilot and Acura MDX are basically the same car ... the MDX has more out of the box (without options) and is more $ but we got the MDX on a good lease price. Also I found the MDX to drive more like a car then a SUV (Versus the pilot).

Other things we looked at are the Toyota Highlander (cant easily put 2 car seats in the back -- one sales person even said NO car seats in the back) and the Nissan Pathfinder was too much of a truck and we didnt like it (it also seemed smaller in the 3rd row).

Last thing I would say is that I had to rent a car last week and got a minivan. I LOVED it ... that will be our next car so at least take a look.

HTH
/hillary