PDA

View Full Version : Installing infant seat without base?

HuskyOwl
03-12-2006, 10:50 PM
Car Seat Techs - please help. We've followed the manual instructions to the "t", but is it normal that the car seat can still tip forward when pressure is applied to back of car seat? There doesn't seem to be any way around it.

Joolsplus2
03-13-2006, 09:30 AM
By tipping forward, I assume you mean it flips up easily towards the vehicle seat back? Yup, it's normal (it's called 'cocooning' and is somewhat good for lowering the forces on a small infant's neck in a crash, and there is minimal risk of minor facial injury, even though it seems so loose and flippy)...seems weird, but it's perfectly ok. What you do NOT want is for it to push back/downwards, so the baby's head goes towards the floor leaning back...but flipping the other way is fine (if you want to roll up a towel and stick it under the foot of the seat to somewhat prevent that, it's fine, too). Mainly you want that seatbelt to be very taut over the seat and locked, if you have that, you're fine.
Julie CPS Tech and mom to 3 in seats
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx

HuskyOwl
03-13-2006, 10:59 AM
Thanks. That is exactly what it is doing, and I needed someone like you to confirm it is ok. I really appreciate it.