PDA

View Full Version : Need help selecting a 2nd car seat (less expensive) UGGGHHH

Taniabsn
03-16-2006, 12:01 PM
My DH is probably going to change jobs and this messes us our convenient car switch off since we now work at the same place.

I have a Britax Boulevard for our Honda CRV. I cringe at having to take it out and leave it at Nana's house.

My other problem is my DH has a Toyota Tacoma P/U. It is not the extended cab. There are little fold out seats in the back.

Any suggestions? Should we purchase a 2nd, much less expensive seat than the the BV)? Do you put it in the front seat of the truck, rear facing (my son is 9 months old and 19 lbs)? or can you use the fold out seats with the seat belt? I need lots of advice.

HELLLLLLLPPPPPPP!!

o_mom
03-16-2006, 12:14 PM
Do the seats face forward or are they the sideways type? You cannot install a carseat on the sideways ones. If they are forward facing, check the owner's manual to see if they are allowed.

If they are not allowed in the back, then make sure there is a way to turn off the airbag so you can install the seat in the front. The Cosco Scenera ($40-50) is a good budget choice. The ones at BRU are supposed to have more padding than the Walmart/Target/Kmart versions. The new Fisher-Price seats are made by Britax. They don't have all the frills of the BV, but are quality seats ($180 for the larger one - 55 lbs).

Taniabsn
03-16-2006, 12:21 PM
They are forward facing in the back.

o_mom
03-16-2006, 12:23 PM
OK, check the Toyota owner's manual and see what it says about putting carseats there.

momtoB
03-16-2006, 12:56 PM
I agree with O_mom. Cosco Scenera 5-pt or FP Safe Voyage if you can afford it. The FP will give your about 3 more inches of growing room as the top slots are as high as on the MA and 15 more lbs on the weight limit. I believe it retails for $180. The Scenera's a great choice too though, since it r/f's to 35lbs and although you most likely will have to replace it sooner, you could go with a good combo later like the Evenflo Bolero which retails for $90 and actually spend less money overall. So you have a couple of options.

Oh and I would definitely check with the Toyota manual to see what it says about using the rear seats for car seats. hth!