PDA

View Full Version : Mini van with all row side curtain airbags

lindsey
03-23-2006, 02:52 PM
Hi! We just bought a mini van with side curtain airbags. I am in the market for a booster for my 4 year old and am wondering if the airbags make a difference in what I should choose? I really know nothing about these type of airbags..but I am assuming that they add to the safety of the children and adults riding in the back. Does this impact the type of booster I can or should use?? Thanks!

momtoB
03-23-2006, 07:15 PM
It's generally recommended that if you have SIP airbags that you should use a high-back booster seat. From what I understand, side curtain airbags don't deploy with the same force as front airbags so they shouldn't pose any risk to a child. I have read that there is a slight possibility of injury if the child's head is leaning on the window, which is why high-back boosters are recommended as they help prevent that. I think HBB's are better for SIP over backless boosters anyway...

The airbags are a nice safety feature though.

hth!

Joolsplus2
03-24-2006, 08:03 AM
Yeah, they make the car safer, so you don't need to fret so much about getting a booster that has built in Side Impact Protection. You could pick something like an Evenflo Big Kid/Everest (which doesn't have EPS foam, but does have nifty flip up armrests for easy buckling), or a Graco Turbo (which does have cool covers and eps foam, but hasn't been tested and the armrests make it harder to buckle properly), or the Britax Parkway, which DOES have side impact protection, but is also the easiest to buckle and most comfortable/highest quality booster out there (well the Recaros are, too, but they cost more).

Since you don't have to worry so much, you can probably go ahead and let him pick his own seat :). (but if you think that a kid can truly never be TOO protected, then put him in a Britax Regent and keep him as safe as possible as long as possible).

:)
Julie CPS Tech and mom to 3 in seats
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx