PDA

View Full Version : replacing roundabout -- question about blvd, rear-facing, etc.

holliam
03-27-2006, 10:21 AM
We were rear-ended about a month ago, and the car is fixed now. It was a minor accident but damage to the bumper, including some underlying bumper frame (or something...) came to about $1500 on our Subaru Outback 2003.

We think the Roundabout was fine, but the guy's insurance company gave us $$ to replace it. So, we are converting it to our travel carseat.

DD is currently almost 19 mo, about 26 lbs, 33 inches. We currently have her rear-facing in the center.

I think it's somewhat stupid to get another Roundabout since she will outgrow it so much sooner. But, I don't think a Marathon or a Boulevard will fit rear-facing in this car. I am going to have DH test them this week.

What would you guys do if you were me, if I can't use anything except a Roundabout in the rear-facing position?
- Buy another Roundabout
- Buy a Marathon or Boulevard and switch her to forward facing

Holli

Joolsplus2
03-27-2006, 11:39 AM
It should fit fine rearfacing, since she's old enough to be sitting up fairly upright (I've installed a bunch, anyway... if you guys have uber-long legs, then it might not, but I really don't think it'd be a problem).
"frame damage" is one of the reasons britax will want you to replace your seat, so DO call them for an opinion (and ask if you qualify for their crashed restraint exchange, you just might get a free new seat if you do).

If the BV takes up too much of your front seat room, then I'd get a Scenera to rearface her longer and a BV for forward facing... no way would I personally go FF at this age (though I'll still give you a big ol' high five for making it THIS long!)

:)
Julie CPS Tech and mom to 3 in seats
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx

daniele_ut
03-27-2006, 11:43 AM
Which model is it exactly? If it's the full size Outback Legacy Wagon you should be able to fit a Marathon in there. We drive an Impreza Outback Sport that has a much smaller backseat and the Marathon fits, although we need to install it relatively upright if it's outboard. In the center, the RF Marathon just nests in between the 2 front seats and you don't need to move the front seats forward at all.

There are several entries on www.carseatdata.org that say a Marathon will fit just fine RF in the center of an Outback, one says a 2002 and I think the body styles are the same. I would take your car to BRU if you can and try the Marathon or Boulevard and see how well it works.

holliam
03-27-2006, 02:12 PM
Julie, you hit on another question we had. DH told me to ask this; he's our carseat guy. He said that there are two positions for the RA. We've had her in the more reclined position and never thought about it. As we were rearranging seats with our rental and then with traveling, we realized there is another, less reclined setting. We can use that for rear-facing too?

If so, then I agree--the less reclined, larger model will fit rear-facing.

I really, really, really don't want to move her forward facing yet so I'm hoping to make this work!

Holli

Joolsplus2
03-27-2006, 04:42 PM
In general you want the seat 'reclined' for RF and 'upright' for FF, but Britax won't tell you no if you ask if it can be 'upright' when RF if it has to be (I find that if you install it with the belt REEEEEEALY tight, it'll be mega-upright, even with the base in 'recline', and then you have to pull it back into at least a slightly decent recline with the top tether, so you can have as much or as little recline as you need just from that).
:)
Julie CPS Tech and mom to 3 in seats
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx

jhrabosk
03-27-2006, 04:50 PM
Holli --

FWIW, we have a 1999 Subaru Forester which I'm 99% sure has less leg room in the back seat than your Outback and we just installed a fully (or almost fully) reclined RF Decathalon in the center position. Both front seats are pushed just about all the way back, too.

Definitely go to BRU and test one out. Once it's all tightened in place, I bet it will fit.

Good luck!
Jessica