PDA

View Full Version : Ever rent a car seat at the airport?

AddiesMom
04-04-2006, 12:21 PM
We are going away for a 4 day weekend in a few weeks, I am flying with DD who will be almost 6 months and MIL who is not a very savvy traveler (i.e. will pack 3 suitcases for 4 days, none will have wheels). DD is flying on our laps since it is an hour long flight and there are 2 of us. DD's convertible car seat will be brand spankin' new so I don't want to gate check it.

I would like to rent a car seat from Hertz since we only need the seat for a few times that weekend. Am I setting myself up for diaster?

JBaxter
04-04-2006, 12:24 PM
I have rented from hertz in the past with no problem. The seat was brand new and still had tags attached I cant remember exactly what brand but I think it was a comfortsport

edited** When DH made these arrangements he was told that the seat would be installed by a certified carseat tech. It did have a tag on it stating it was installed by cert tech. I checked and it didnt budge. all that being said after reading on these boards I wont do it again. We take our comfort sport and check it as luggage.

Piglet
04-04-2006, 12:29 PM
A few thoughts:

1) Even if you didn't book a seat for DD, they will let you use an empty seat if there is one available. You should arrive a bit early at the airport and mention that you have a baby travelling with you and then ask if the flight is full or if they have any extra seats.

2) If they have extra seats you will want to bring your seat on board, in which case you should travel with your carseat.

3) If there are no available seats, they will still let you gate check the car seat, which is better than checking it with your luggage.

4) I would not trust a rental agency car seat because you don't know if it was ever in a crash, or if it even suits your baby's needs. You might consider either buying a Scenera as your "travel" car seat (very cheap, light and easy to use) or a Graco Snugride II or Safeseat (with higher weight limits than the older Graco Snugrides). I am not sure what your infant carseat situation is like, but if your DD still fits into her seat, then they make travel mich easier!

Good luck,

Neatfreak
04-04-2006, 12:29 PM
I'm a little suspicious of the seats at car rental agencies. They're in the business of renting cars, not in the business of making sure their carseats are non-expired, in good condition, compatible with their vehicles, and otherwise safe, kwim? I don't fault them - it's just not their priority. You may not get a carseat that you like.

I rented a seat from a baby gear rental company in Australia 18 months ago with no problems. Their business is baby gear, so they had up-to-date equipment. I know what there are quite a few baby gear rental companies in the US - you could check if there is one in the area that you're flying to that could drop the seat off at the Hertz desk for you. Or, if you really don't want to take your DDs seat, another option would be to buy an inexpensive one that you don't mind taking on the plane - like the Scenera.

Joolsplus2
04-04-2006, 12:51 PM
It's real hit-or-miss, you'll either get a nice new seat, or some disgusting expired hunk of junk without a manual... they may help you install it, or they may refuse to touch it... for the price you're going to end up paying, I'd rather go get a Scenera and try to bring it on the plane, or gate check it... then you have a nice light cheap travel seat... yes, it'll be a pain, but given what the rental agency might try to give you (if they even have a seat, sometimes they just 'run out' even if you have a reservation!), you'd be better off with your nice, own, clean seat.

:)
Julie CPS Tech and mom to 3 in seats
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx

Sillygirl
04-04-2006, 01:02 PM
We rented a car seat from Hertz when we went to the Virgin Islands a few months ago - we were very happy with it. It came installed and it was not moving at all! I would mention when you book it that the seat needs to be rear-facing - you'd hate to have to reinstall it when you get there.

Personally, I'm happy if the seat is there and installed and would *never* consider lugging a car seat through an airport. But then Jonathan's been on a bunch of flights and has been a lap child each time.

AddiesMom
04-04-2006, 01:25 PM
This is why I always ask the wise Mommies of the Bargains Board first for advice!

I am going to check out the Cosco. We are buying a Britax Marathon or Decathlon in a few weeks and I really wanted a 2nd seat, but DH said to try and get by with 1 seat. His car sits at an airport all week and we barely used the 2nd base for the infant seat. I figured it out, we have 3 trips this year by plane so buying the Cosco is cheaper than renting seats from Hertz. Now I will also have a spare seat for DH and Grammies!

Next question- are there diffrent versions of the Scenera? For example the Snug Ridge has all diffrent versions. For a few bucks more does one have a better cover than the other, etc...?

TIA!

Joolsplus2
04-04-2006, 02:00 PM
The only real difference would be that one has an overhead shield, and of course you wouldn't want that. I'm pretty sure they just make different cover colors depending on which store(black and tan from walmart, blueish at Target, I *think*...I haven't checked them out lately, but there's truly no difference beyond 'fashion'...if you can call it that, lol).

:)

DeeEast
04-04-2006, 10:25 PM
We rented a seat for DD 3 years ago when we flew to Tampa. I can't remember the rental company but it wasn't Hertz. It was a nightmare! I ended up almost decking the manager of the rental car company. The seat they gave us was a piece of crap. Then there was no manual. No one would help us install it and I couldn't get it installed because we had NO MANUAL. Then the manager doofus tried to tell me that they weren't ALLOWED to give me the manual. Never, ever, ever, ever, ever, again. I always take my own carseat(s) now.

kellyotn
04-04-2006, 11:51 PM
I think BRU's have a Scenera Deluxe now that's a bit more padded or something. Its almost twice the price though. Don't know that its worth that much more, but I haven't seen it to say either way.

Fashion-wise, Walmart's is black/tan, my favorite. Target's is navy/light blue, I'm not a fan of that particular color combo but its decent. Kmart's is brown and seems itchy, could have been in my head though, but it seemed like cheap felt-material to me.

I'd never want to mess with a rental seat, it could go seamlessly or it could just really suck. Traveling is hard enough w/o that stress. ;)

The Scenera is a great seat, I'd totally go that route.

AddiesMom
04-05-2006, 05:38 AM
Great! I am going to WalMart and Target today. I also have a $10 off at BRU so that one might be about the same price if the others are sold out.

Now my dilema is hotel crib or lug the pack and play <aarrggghhhh!> I have heard horror stories about the cribs in hotels with safety and cleanliness!

Neatfreak
04-05-2006, 06:47 AM
Can you rent one at your destination? I'm not sure if this link will be useful: http://www.thenewparentsguide.com/baby-equipment-rentals.htm

Joolsplus2
04-05-2006, 07:38 AM
The crib I rented (well, got from the hotel by request) on the same trip wasn't nearly as gross as the carseat, actually it was a decent pack n play. If it's funky, you can always send it back and request another one, I think, yeah?

allthetimemom
04-05-2006, 08:18 AM
Re: the crib thing.

Call and make sure packnplay. Some of those rickity metal cribs are pretty nasty and unsafe and only 38 inches (I'm not sure of weight limit). I'm going on a trip and have been calling hotels and most have folding metal 38 inch mini cribs. It's all the details moms have to deal with! My child is 37 inches (though I don't feel safe having her loose in a strange place).

The only hotel I've called that uses packnplays is Marriott at $400 per night.

My issue is big kid, but I'd be even more hesitant to put a little baby in a fold up metal crib, because they are less able to communicate if part of them gets stuck.

Bring your own sheets for packnplay.

AddiesMom
04-05-2006, 08:37 AM
I just e-mailed Marriott. Thanks!