PDA

View Full Version : 1st Time on Airplane with 9mo. old. What to take? Roundabout & Gogo Kidz? & whatelse?

colegiala
04-04-2006, 12:33 PM
Hi, It will be my first airplane trip(FL to La 1week visit Grandma) with dd, she will be 9mo. when we go next month. I have a Britax Roundabout and read on this board that getting a Go Go Kidz to take her and the car seat is the way to go, so I will buy one this week. I am also planning to take my Mac Volo,pump,toys,portable dvd, diaper bag(of course),camera, . any other suggestions on what to take? Any portable must haves? e.g. booster seat?

Thank you for any suggestions that will make my life easier,
Gaby

Piglet
04-04-2006, 01:01 PM
The suggestion I have is to not over-do the toys. I always have a bad habit of bringing too many and then I find they never get used. They take up a lot room too, so the less you bring the better. My DS's were happy with board books and I always found stuff on board that kept them entertained. Somehow, whichever toys I brought ended up being boring to them within minutes of take-off, go figure! Snacks on the other hand, were a must!

I think there were a lot of posts in the Lounge on traveling with babies. If you do a search, a lot of useful info will come up.

Have fun,
Marina

sidmand
04-04-2006, 04:04 PM
I have my first airplane ride with DS next week and he'll be 10 months later this week, so pretty close to your DD. We're also visiting my Dad, his wife, and Great-Grandma! I don't know if this is an option for you, but my Dad is renting what he can in Florida, i.e., highchair, pack 'n play. They're going to buy diapers, formula, cereal, so I don't have to bring any but the essentials.

I'm a horrible light packer, but I'm really trying. We took a one-week car ride trip a couple of months ago and I brought way too many toys, so I'm trying to stick to the bare minimum. I figure everyone will be around to play with and he won't need so many toys.

Anything you can't easily get when you get there--so, like you mentioned, stroller, car seat, pump, diaper bag, camera...we bought the Cosco Scenera to take on the plane instead of our Marathon after reading many of the posts here (since we also only had 1 car seat anyway). Don't forget your instruction manual. DS is pretty big for his age, so I have all the documentation that he needs to be rear-facing since I'm pretty sure they're going to want him to be forward facing.

I'm still trying to figure out what should go in my carryon vs. the suitcase and I'm sure I'll be paring down as I go. Does your DD have any rituals? We're bringing a lullaby CD and sleepsack since DS has those every night/nap. Car seat, stroller, enough diapers for a day...

Debbie

Mom to Sawyer!
http://lilypie.com/baby1/060607/0/3/1/-5/.png[/img] ([img)

momtoB
04-04-2006, 05:10 PM
I found this site has a lot of helpful tips:

http://flyingwithchildren.blogspot.com/

I also agree with the toys. Just bring a couple of small things that are easy to carry. If it's something she's never seen before then all the better. Besides all the activities on the plane will be too interesting to watch anyway. :)

hth!

holliam
04-05-2006, 03:46 PM
We just did a cross-country trip with the Roundabout and Go Go Kidz thingy and it was seriously the best invention in the world. We did not bring a stroller at all, just some baby carriers.

Whatever you do, don't forget her lovies if she has one! We forgot both of our daughter's and luckily had friends with a key to our house who FedEx'd them to us!

Holli

carolines mommy
04-05-2006, 09:19 PM
We just got back from DC last week and I definitely agree with the don't pack too many toys thing for the plane. Chelsea was totally happy with the safety info card, plastic cups and using the bags of peanuts as rattles for 90% of the plane ride. The stroller may work well enough for feeding time so I personally wouldn't go through the hassle of packing a booster seat.

Erika
Mommy to Caroline Nov 03 and Chelsea April 05