PDA

View Full Version : Graco SnugRide - Gracopedic material? Or is Blackwell okay?

AtomicLush
04-04-2006, 04:13 PM
Hi everyone. I was reading through some of the posts on this forum and many of you recommend the Graco SnugRide as the preferred infant car seat. However, all the ones available at the mainstream stores like Babies R Us, Target, Walmart, etc. are not the ones with the Gracopedic foam material. Are these non-foam car seats not comfortable for the baby? I was looking into the Blackwell one, but I'm afraid it won't be comfortable. T.I.A.

ksli
04-04-2006, 11:26 PM
I feel very strongly that everything my babies sits/lies in be the most comfortable thing possible. Plus, it has to be something I would consider using myself (adult-sized, of course!).

I also looked at all of the snugrides at BRU, etc., and the non-gracopedic foam ones are just awful, IMHO. You may as well just put the baby right on the hard plastic. It's no wonder all these babies have flat heads and need helmets. Go with the Gracopedic foam - it's worth the extra time and money.

And think about comfort when looking at swings, etc, as well. It's amazing how poorly padded most baby equipment is. I ended up creating an extra layer of padding for our baby swing just to make it useable.

Good luck, and sorry for the rant. It's just my obsession, I guess!

Kathleen
DS Erick 1-7-05

AtomicLush
04-05-2006, 03:58 PM
Thanks. Do you know where a good place to get a SnugRide with Gracopedic foam? I would like to go through a reputable place with a physical store presence (vs. an online only store), but like I mentioned before, BRU, Target, Walmart, etc. all don't carry the ones with Gracopedic foam. I wonder why???

MamaParis
04-05-2006, 04:54 PM
Personally if its in your budget - GET THE GRACOPEDIC FOAM!
Our snugride didn't have it and my kids hated that seat - it was like sitting on a plastic shell with a piece of cloth over it so i don't blame them one bit!

The only ones that are going to have the foam are the more expensive and high-end Snugrides - like the Central Park, G Collection fabric etc.

WHICH IMO ...

at that point you're paying a hefty price tag on an infant seat - which is just sad! I mean how much can that little piece of padding cost that Graco can't add it to all of their seats???

I'd also like to recommend the Chicco Keyfit infant seat - OMG! I LOVE THIS SEAT!
I've had a Graco Snugride, a Peg Perego Primo Viaggio, Eddie bauer/Cosco Designer 22 etc seats and the Chicco is my ABSOLUTE FAVORITE!

Its sooooo well padded! LIKE a ton of cushiony goodness for your baby AND it comes standard with the infant insert - and not just some skimy headroll like the Gracos give you - but a FULL BODY insert that is well padded and provides great support for the baby!
The base is the easiest thing I have ever installed with BOTH LATCH and the seatbelt! Built in lock-offs - one pull LATCH tightener.
I can't say enough good about this seat! WE LOVE it!

daniele_ut
04-05-2006, 07:45 PM
I'm agreeing with the pps. We had the Blackwell SnugRide and Logan d being in his car seat. He never minded the cushy bouncy or the padded swing, but the carseat was a nightmare for him. I really wish I had thought more about the padding before I purchased my seat. I sold it a few weeks ago.

If I were buying again today, I'd definitely be considering the Chicco Key Fit, and I really like the idea of the Graco SafeSeat, but I haven't really investigated the padding.

ksli
04-06-2006, 12:46 AM
To the OP-
We got our gracopedic one at The Right Start. They have stores and are at www.rightstart.com

I've also seen them at www.buybuybaby.com which has east coast stores.

Kathleen

Splash
04-06-2006, 08:48 AM
I've seen them in every BRU I've ever been in...
I don't think it's worth it, but that's just me. A baby doesn't weigh much, and they've got a diaper on, and there IS padding. I think there is more than enough padding in most infant seats. But, if you want the foam, go with the foam.

AtomicLush
04-06-2006, 05:54 PM
Actually, all the ones at BRU (even online) don't have the extra foam. You might be thinking of the feet warmer (they call it a "cold weather boot") which slides over the legs, not padding for under the entire body.

JGib
04-06-2006, 06:21 PM
I have the Blackwell and my DS was fine with it. We just bought a new carseat for him because he hit the 22 lb limit, but he never had a problem with it. Although, I guess at the time, I didn't know about the Gracopedic material. I just went with the recommendation of the baby bargains book that just said Graco Snugride...I don't remember it mentioning the Gracopedic material.

Jody

Splash
04-06-2006, 06:58 PM
Mine has them. In the SR, CS, and TB. I played with it and didn't think it was all that great and looked at the practical side of it... if a kid poops/pees/pukes it is gonna be a nightmare.
Maybe my BRU is special, but they have ones with the gracopedic in them.

KHF
04-07-2006, 07:01 AM
I had the Graco SnugRide in Mayfair (from Babies R Us) and it did have the Gracopedic foam. It also is similar in color to the Blackwell, so it may be worth a look. I picked it because I loved the material, as well as the foam.

I looked online to see if I could find a picture, but it isn't showing up any more. They do still show the Mayfair strollers. Possibly your BRU still has them in stock. (I know ours did a few weeks ago.)

Kirsten
Mom to Laurel - born 8.22.2005

AtomicLush
04-17-2006, 06:06 PM
Okay, I answered my own question. Went to BRU and looked at their most expensive/deluxe Graco SnugRide and then went to small boutique shop to look at the one with GracoPedic Foam. There is NO comparison. I was mainly interested in the areas where DS will bounce around the most (like around the head and bottom areas) and the foam was well worth the extra $20-$30. The models without the foam felt like they just put a piece of cloth over the plastic. What were they thinking???

We are currently considering the Central Park, Metropolitan and Cotton Tale designs. If you know of a good deal for one, let me know...the cheapest I've seen with the GracoPedic foam is about $119.95 to $129.95 online, depending on the pattern. I would like to stay around $100, but sometimes you gotta splurge a little for safety and comfort.

hannahbear
04-17-2006, 09:00 PM
We have the SnugRide Metropolitan with the Gracopedic Foam. I personally thought there was no comparison. The ones without the foam are ridiculously skimpy, especially considering the lack of head control babies have at a young age.

I specifically looked around for one with the Gracopedic foam and the one we have actually has two layers, I was really surprised. My DD loves her carseat. The Gracopedic foam combined with the BundleMe in the winter always initiated a long nap for her. I really don't recommend buying one without it. We got ours for 120 bucks offline.

Good Luck!
: )
Hanaa
DD Ava 10.21.2005

jda312
04-18-2006, 03:22 AM
>We are currently considering the Central Park, Metropolitan
>and Cotton Tale designs. If you know of a good deal for one,
>let me know...the cheapest I've seen with the GracoPedic foam
>is about $119.95 to $129.95 online, depending on the pattern.
>I would like to stay around $100, but sometimes you gotta
>splurge a little for safety and comfort.

I bought my Metropolitan Snugride at Babyage.com when they were having a 10% off sale and clicked through ebates, so I estimate it cost $110 out the door. I bought a second one (for a friend) at a local store and had them price match the $119.99 price. I printed out the product pages for Babyage.com and Elitecarseats.com and took to the store...called first to check if they price matched. Of course, they had to charge me tax, so it was like $128, but since it's a gift, I needed it to be returnable. For me, it's web shopping all the way...almost always cheaper and hassle free from my experience.

Jennifer

ardie514
04-18-2006, 04:28 PM
Babycenter.com is currently having a sale and I noticed that they have both the Metropolitan and the Lotus with the Gracopedic foam.

hudsonam
04-19-2006, 08:28 AM
I didn't know about the Gracopedic foam when we got ours, and I suppose if I had, I would have gotten one with it, but we had the Blackwell one and it was fine. He didn't love being in the car seat, but I'm pretty sure that was because he never liked laying on his back for long. I'm sure your DC would be fine without the foam, but I'm sure it's nicer to have it. :)

khalloc
04-19-2006, 08:42 AM
My DD has the Blackwell one and she loves it.