PDA

View Full Version : Please help!

mommyof1sweetboy
04-04-2006, 07:23 PM
Car seat techs and anyone who has facts on the Alpha Omega® Elite 5-Point.
The guy at Babies R Us suggested this because the back slided up and it grows with the child. He said he uses it with his son.
My husband liked it because it has lots of padding.

We bought it and then I read a post saying :
"You do NOT want the AO. It's the worst seat on the market. "
"The Alpha Omega Elite is a really bad seat"

Please tell me why this is a bad seat.

We just bought it from a store 2 1/2 hrs away and need to plan a trip to return it before return policy expires.

All info. is appreciated!

o_mom
04-04-2006, 07:53 PM
Here's a good explanation:

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/dcboard.php?az=show_mesg&forum=13&topic_id=40657&mesg_id=40668&page=

It's not an unsafe seat when used correctly. IMO, it encourages parents to move kids to booster mode too soon because the harness height is too low for many kids before they are ready for a booster. Add into that the top slot is for booster use only and very poorly marked, you probably have alot of kids riding around in unsafe configurations. Not to mention it failed testing without the top tether and has never been recalled...

If you have top tethers, are VERY aware of the top position being booster only, and are willing to buy another harnessed seat to use between outgrowing the harness on the AO and booster age, then it is OK. However, with the $150 for this seat and another $100 for a Cargo to keep harnessed until at least 4, you can buy a Marathon that will almost certainly (99%) get you to booster age.

kellyotn
04-04-2006, 08:27 PM
ITA. I don't have any firsthand experience with this seat, but always hear what PP has said.

As its pretty expensive, its unfortunate that in most cases another seat is needed at 3 years old or so. By that time they have your money and you are just out of luck, and would have been money ahead to start off with a Marathon that lasts so much longer by height and harness weight. So much for the "only seat you'll need" line. :( I also hear it doesn't make a great booster anyways, though I can't remember the specifics.

Also, do check into the top tether issue. It makes it difficult if you want to move the seat into granny's car temporarily etc if they don't have a top tether.

It does rear face for a long time though....

Its a hard choice whether or not to return it from such a distance, but at least you are aware of the downfalls.

MamaParis
04-04-2006, 08:35 PM
My 3 y/o is too tall for our 3 in 1 seat and my 2 y/o is close to getting to big for it as well.

You can't use the top harness slot for the actual harness (its for booster mode only) - so it makes this seat have some of the lowest harness heights on the market ... so then your typical 2.5 and 3 year old gets too tall for it and you have to buy a NEW car seat and drop another $100 on some kind of seat to keep your kid harnessed until at least 40 lbs and 4 years old (BARE minimums by the way ...)
- So you just spent a good deal of money on a seat that will last you only a few years before you have to buy another seat ...

If you like the way it adjusts he harness and the padding - the Britax Boulevard can't be beat! :)
I know its not in everyone price range - but honestly - it will LAST YOU until you need just a booster seat! Harnesses to 65 lbs and has REALLY NICE side impact protection wings (which are REALLY nice for napping in the car as well! ;) )

I've been less than wow-ed by our 3 in 1 seat and our friends AO elite seat (which her kids don't fit in and are about 3 and HAVE to use as a booster because she can't bear to buy a new seat after paying about $150 for those.
UGH!

I'd probably return it if it were me.

mommyof1sweetboy
04-04-2006, 09:01 PM
Thank you all for the info! (anyone elses input is welcome too!)

What is the difference between the Boulevard & Marathon??? This is so confusing!

Mindy

>My 3 y/o is too tall for our 3 in 1 seat and my 2 y/o is
>close to getting to big for it as well.
>
>You can't use the top harness slot for the actual harness (its
>for booster mode only) - so it makes this seat have some of
>the lowest harness heights on the market ... so then your
>typical 2.5 and 3 year old gets too tall for it and you have
>to buy a NEW car seat and drop another $100 on some kind of
>seat to keep your kid harnessed until at least 40 lbs and 4
>years old (BARE minimums by the way ...)
>- So you just spent a good deal of money on a seat that will
>last you only a few years before you have to buy another seat
>...
>
>If you like the way it adjusts he harness and the padding -
>the Britax Boulevard can't be beat! :)
>I know its not in everyone price range - but honestly - it
>will LAST YOU until you need just a booster seat! Harnesses to
>65 lbs and has REALLY NICE side impact protection wings (which
>are REALLY nice for napping in the car as well! ;) )
>
>
>I've been less than wow-ed by our 3 in 1 seat and our friends
>AO elite seat (which her kids don't fit in and are about 3 and
>HAVE to use as a booster because she can't bear to buy a new
>seat after paying about $150 for those.
>UGH!
>
>I'd probably return it if it were me.
>

new_mommy25
04-05-2006, 04:37 AM
If I understand correctly, the Boulevard is the same size and shape as the Marathon but has Side Impact Protection in the form of wings. Also the harness adjusts with a dial on the boulevard and needs to be rethreaded on the Marathon.

We have been using a Marathon with my first son for 2 years and have been nothing but happy with it. We bought a Boulevard for my new DD and it looks like a great seat. My DS and nephew have both ridden in her Boulevard a few times already and I liked how it worked. It was a bit easier to adjust than the Marathon and in my opinion it's the little things that count.

Joolsplus2
04-05-2006, 08:07 AM
try www.britaxusa.com for a breakdown of differences, but yeah, they are basically the same, but the BV has a dialing headrest/harness and side impact protection.

:)
Julie CPS Tech and mom to 3 in seats
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx