PDA

View Full Version : Need help choosing next seat...Graco Platinum/Ultra CarGo?

millerpjm
04-05-2006, 09:56 AM
Hello all,

I also posted on Toddler Bargains, but the more research I do, the more questions and doubts I have. DS is 3 and currently in a Britax Roundabout. His shoulders are almost level with the top slots, even though he is nowhere near the weight limit (skinny as a rail and only 30 pounds sopping wet:)). So, I cannot move him into a booster yet (don't even want to). I thought a combination seat like the Graco Platinum/Ultra CarGo would be a good option but I have read this is not a good seat in booster mode. The Apex 65 will not work in my car - the back is not high enough. I have seen the Regent, but it is SO expensive and I need to buy 2 main seats plus a backup for Grandma's car. Are there any other options I am missing? Any advice? Please help - TIA.

Jennifer

Joolsplus2
04-05-2006, 10:21 AM
Any of the Evenflo combos are good, too.
You're going to be using the harness for the next 2+ years, so get the seat that you like the harness on best, and don't sweat the booster issue too much (none of them will last till your child is big enough for a seatbelt alone, anyway, so you'll end up getting more seats later). And truly, the Cargos in booster mode are really just fine for a kid too tall/heavy for the harness...you don't even need to use the belt guides for the shoulderbelt unless you want to, and they are NOT the kind that consumer reports said was actually dangerous (those were the coscos, and they've been redesigned).

:)
Julie CPS Tech and mom to 3 in seats
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx

millerpjm
04-07-2006, 03:41 PM
Thanks for the suggestions...there are so many options out there!

I saw an Evenflo combination seat that had a knob to tighten/loosen the straps, but I haven't played with it. Is it hard to use? I find that I like to tighten the straps on his RA every time I put him in, and want a seat I can adjust the straps easily. Please let me know what you think. TIA!

Jen