PDA

View Full Version : Oh man, where to start? Help with everything???

gel
04-05-2006, 04:52 PM
Oh your expertise is sought! This is a multiple part question.

I am pregnant with twins and have a 1 1/2 year old in a Roundabout, which I have had no problems with. I imagine I will end up buying 2 more of those soon enough, but in the meanwhile...

1) I need 2 infant seats. I wondered about starting straight off with a convertible, but think the better of it as twins can be small. I didn't like the Snugride, though maybe we had a low end one. Maybe they've improved? I was thinking about the Britax Companion, but found out that you can't use it with a snap and go, and with twins on the way I think I may want that convenience. Is there something like the double snap and go for the Britax infant seat? If not, what about the Primo Viaggo infant seat? For twins, who will likely be early, I want lots of cushioning.

Next question (this should probably be two posts!) We need a new car! We currently have a 1997 Audi Wagon, and I don't think I can get 3 car seats in there. Is there any car/van where you can fit 3 Roundabouts or equivalent in a row? If not, and I suspect not, looks like it's minivan-city. Whatever we get will be used, so probably pre-latch.

What should we do???

Thanks so much for any thoughts or feedback.

Gabriella

Splash
04-05-2006, 06:08 PM
If it were me, I would skip the baskets entirely. Get another roundabout and a marathon/decathlon/boulevard. Put the twins in the to RAs and the older child in the new seat.
If you MUST have the basket, the new snugrides are nice, as is the graco baby safe seat. It RF in a basket to 30 pounds. Can't beat that! A bit larger and heavier yes, but much more for your money.
I definitely would not buy two more RAs though. Your older child is going to outgrow it eventually, might as well get him/her the next seat now (or when/if you buy the second RA)

Can't help you with the car. Sorry that.

kellyotn
04-05-2006, 09:56 PM
What didn't you like about your Snugrides? They have been improved AND there are several "levels" of Snugride, so I bet whatever you disliked can be avoided. :)

If I were having twins, I'm pretty sure I'd go the infant seat route, just for a bit of a sanity saver and to use a double car seat stroller frame. (And, they probably will be smallish, and an infant seat probably a better fit.) Yes, I know that you shouldn't keep in infant in their car seats for long periods, but I think the double snap and go would be a lifesaver for a *twin AND toddler* mommy.

I totally agree with Splash, get one RA and one 65 lb Britax for the oldest. I'm currently in the midst of replacing a Scenera that my 3.5 year old is outgrowing, and its slowly driving me insane. ;) It started when she outgrew a different 40 lb seat by height and the Scenera was just a stop-gap. (Her main seat is an MA, and she's still got plenty of time in it.)

I might even consider getting 2 65 lb Britaxes and just being done with it. One twin could be in an MA/Blvd/Decath and one in an RA, they don't have to "match". ;) Then, when the single RA gets outgrown or expires, the twins still have two of the larger seats to grow with and the oldest will be in a different seat/booster.

Good luck!

catfeet
04-06-2006, 07:25 AM
For me, three kids automatically mean that a bucket is in the offing. I just recently purchased a Combi Connection. I hated my SR with my last baby too. The Connection seems much lighter and better, though I'm sure Julie could tell you more, she's been using hers with her baby, real world experience and all that, lol...

HTH,
Ann

Joolsplus2
04-06-2006, 09:25 AM
Yeah, love my Connection... And Chicco Key Fit...I honestly think newborns fit better in those than Snugrides (of course, with twins, the only 'newborn' going out you'll be doing is to the dr at one week and one month, I bet!). A snugride with a front harness adjuster is a nice, light option, really, and fits great on a double snap n go. The Safeseat is heftier, but will certainly last a lot lot longer. Maybe one infant seat, a Marathon for the older kid, and the Roundabout would be good...and a really good sling for one baby at all times?

Julie CPS Tech and mom to 3 in seats
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx

gel
04-06-2006, 11:32 AM
Nobody mentions the Peg Perego infant seats, which I have read are good for smaller babies. How come they aren't popular? I like that they can click right into a double stroller, as the snap and go always felt a little flimsy to me, despite its popularity. That said, can the Chicco Key Fit work with a snap and go? The description doesn't mention that it's compatible with Chicco, so I'm guessing no.

Definitely will have a sling! But I also think I should create as many options for myself as I can, especially since I will have a 2 year old to take care of, who is used to a lot of attention! Also, I'll probably have to get out with the newborns more than I might otherwise, because my daughter is starting to have activities, like play groups and Tumble Time, etc...

Thanks for all this feedback.

Gabriella

Splash
04-06-2006, 12:27 PM
I've owned the PP infant seat and hate hate hate absolutely loathe would not wish on my worst enemy is an understatement!
You can't use without the base. That might not seem like a big deal but it has the potential to be a huge deal. The handle is uncomfortable, and why pay so much for an object that you won't use very long that DOES NOT offer any more protection than a bargain basement one? If it were a matter of it being safer, that would be one thing. But it isn't safer. Just more expensive.
And almost all infant seats pop directly on to most strollers.
Just go to BRU, try the car seats you like on the stroller you have/want, and see what works. But IMO the PP infant seat isn't worth it.

ColorBlue
04-06-2006, 01:21 PM
I had twins when my dd was three and in a RA. First the infant carseats and snap and go are an ABSOLUTE MUST!! I really can't stress that enough. Even more so for you because your older one is still little and couldn't wait patiently by the side of the car while you get the twins in! The key to your life for the first year is convenience...you really don't want any more steps involved in anything. Trust me it was like climbing Mt. Everest to leave the house and that was with all the conveniences. (Was that too scary? Really its not that bad its just all logistics).

The snugrides have really come a long way and are just fine carseats even for the wee little ones. Oh and don't count on that they will be very small...mine were six three and six thirteen..so normal size babies (and they were three weeks early!)

We had a newer VW passat wagon, which I think is a similar size to your Audi and we sold that and bought a minivan. I HATED the idea of it! But I thank my husband every day for pushing me into it because its so convenient! For a used one before 2004 I would get an odyssey. For a newer used or new one a Sienna or an odyssey. We have a 2004 sienna and I absolutely love it.

Also when you do buy convertibles I would suggest not buying another RA but getting two marathons or decathalons or someting that harnesses past 40 pounds. When the twins outgrew their infant seats (and boy do I wish we had had the new snugrides that went with the higher weight) we got two decathalons. My older dd outgrew the RA at four years old...for me too little to be in a booster. So we put her in a decathalon, one twin in the other decathalon and the other in the RA.

Ok...so I've now written a book...pm me with any questions. ALso check out twinstuff.com for some great twin info.

Tracy

Mom to Grace, Ella and Madeline.

Joolsplus2
04-06-2006, 02:46 PM
I haven't seen the new ones, but the old ones could be impossible to install well (the base is the same, it's hateful) and the adjuster and canopy were the pits (gonna be using that adjuster all the time, who needs the hassle of a hard-to-pull strap?) for that money, I'd seriously want flawless operation and a great canopy.. wonder if the new ones are better...but no one's forking over the cash when the Key Fit is so wonderous... if you wanna be the guinea pig for us.... we won't mind, lol.

:)
Julie CPS Tech and mom to 3 in seats
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx