PDA

View Full Version : Question about car seats

Laurensmom05
04-06-2006, 10:35 PM
We need to buy a convertible car seat for our 6 month old daughter. I was wondering if anyone had any comments on the Combi Avatar or the Evenflo Triumph. Was there anything you loved/hated about the car seat? I would really appreciate your input!

Thanks,

Darcy

Joolsplus2
04-07-2006, 08:04 AM
The Avatar is really pretty bad, I wouldn't recommend it (it's safe, but hard to install and use and weighs a ton...). The Triumph is fine, but do play with it first and make sure you like the harness, which has a double shoulder strap and a dial to tighten and loosen. It's also not tall enough for optimal rearfacing to age 2-3, so if you are on a budget I'd actually recommend the Cosco Alpha Sport or Scenera, and if you really want a high quality seat, look for a Britax (the Marathon/Decathlon/Boulevard cost more than the Roundabout, but will last 2-3 years longer, and will last 2-3 years longer than any other convertible seat, so the overall price is not as high as it looks).

:)
Julie CPS Tech and mom to 3 in seats
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx

Laurensmom05
04-07-2006, 12:02 PM
Thanks for the input!

Darcy

kellyotn
04-07-2006, 03:36 PM
I don't know anything about the Avatar past what Julie said. I've never even seen one!

A friend had the Triumph and she really liked it. Its cushy and she liked the adjuster. But, her son got too big for it right around his second birthday. He still technically fit, but was just very cramped, in the shoulder width area especially which surprised me because it looks SO wide! She had a new baby to pass it down to and she got the 2 year old a new seat.

A big Britax will last SO much longer, its worth it in the end if you can afford it right now.

My DD is 3.5 and rides in a Scenera 5 point in her dad's truck and an MA in my car. She is fine in either. *I* like the MA better because it seems more comfy, but she has never, ever complained or missed a bit of car-sleep! :)

Its so weird, but the most recommended seats are either the expensive large Britaxes or the super cheap Cosco Scenera. ;)