PDA

View Full Version : Boulevard Tethering Question

HIU8
04-09-2006, 09:44 PM
My sister and brother-in-law bought a boulevard for their soon to be born DD. My sister is due in 2 weeks and you wait at least 6 weeks for a carseat inspection here. So, DH and I helped them install the carseat. They made a first attempt and drove over. They have a 2004 Honda Accord that has LATCH in the center (I thought no car had LATCH in the center, but theirs did). Anyway, they have it tethered the Australian method. Is that OK? DH and I have two Marathons and were always told to tether to the track under the front seats. The way my sister and brother-in-law had it, the seat felt tippy (towards the back seat). Is there a good place under the front seats to tether (I could not immediately see or feel anything that would work). Also, they seemed to need to roll up a towel to put in under the base in the bite of the seat (I think that is what you call it). Is that ok to do for this carseat?

Thanks,

Heather
DS 11/27/04

Kat_Mom2D_J_andRuthie
04-10-2006, 03:53 AM
the australian method is okay... but since it will be for a newborn, I'd want the swedish method you are used to... it will fix the recline... otherwise, I'm not surprised you would have to put a rolled towel or pool nodle under the foot of the seat.

a good place to check for this type of info is carseatdata.org's database.

here is where people specified tethering rf britax seats to

1. Tethered to frame of front passenger seat.

2. Tethered to passenger seat rails

3. Tethered to front seat bolts, under plastic cover

oh, and I would use a piece of paper to make sure it's a full 45* recline since it will be for a newborn... here's how: http://www.carseatsite.com/reclineangle.htm

HTH

HIU8
04-10-2006, 07:23 PM
Thanks,

I will pass this info on to my sister.

Heather
DS 11/27/04

JGib
04-10-2006, 09:03 PM
First, somebody please feel free to correct me on my method if it is wrong, but I got it off the website that Julie (CPS Tech) sent me to. I could have misunderstood....

Anyway, I just installed mine and the tether strap was long enough for me to pull it down and under the seat it is installed on and latch it on to the back where the tether anchorage is located.

I don't know if you would feel comfortable talking to your sister, but it would be best if they got an infant carseat in the beginning. She won't be able to easily go to the store with her baby because she won't be able to carry her in the carseat and attach it to the cart like infant carseats have the ability to do. I thought about doing the same thing they are doing, but didn't. Now I am VERY glad I didn't because I was then able to go to the store and just carry the infant in the carseat. Obviously and infant cannot sit up in a cart since their neck muscle aren't strong enough yet. Also, going to a restaurant is easier with an infant car seat. I just got our BV for my DS who is only 5 months because he is already at 22 lbs, which is the limit of the infant carseat I had. He can't quite sit up by himself yet, so it's already shown to be a little difficult taking him out.

Hope that helps!
Jody

HIU8
04-11-2006, 07:01 AM
My sister and her DH chose this and are going to wear the baby. They did get a Graco SR on sale to use when going into the grocery store and restaurants as well. They just did not want to use it as their primary carseat. I offered what I could, but they want to do it their way (not my choice, but I think they are reacting to the fact that my DS had a flat spot develop on his head and we almost were going to have to use the helmut. Luckily with the peds help we were able to basically reverse this).

Heather
DS 11/27/04