PDA

View Full Version : Why do I even bother to talk to people...

DebbieJ
04-10-2006, 06:59 PM
I just get mad!

I was chatting with my neighbor who is already planning to put her 2.5 yo dd in a BOOSTER!!! Holy crap!!

Her DH has a Marathon in his car, so I reminded her that it goes to 65 pounds. In her car she has a Roundabout, so her dd is close to outgrowing it in height. I told her she's okay til the top of the seat is level with the top of her ears. Is that right?

If only I could convince her to buy another harnessed seat....she was going on about how her dd likes to buckle herself in and it would be easier with a booster. Ugh!

~ deb
DS born at home 12/03
2 year check up: 25 lbs with clothes on and 35 inches!
BFARed for 20 months and 6 days
(Breastfeeding After Reduction is possible! www.bfar.org)

http://www.bfar.org/members/fora/style_avatars/Ribbons/18months-bfar.jpg

annasmom
04-10-2006, 07:01 PM
Deb, I have a friend who has had her kids in boosters since they were roughly one!! She thinks I am crazy for keeping my dc rear facing for as long as I do!

jeanum
04-10-2006, 07:56 PM
> In her car she has a Roundabout, so her dd
>is close to outgrowing it in height. I told her she's okay
>til the top of the seat is level with the top of her ears. Is
>that right?
>
The seat would be outgrown by height if the top of her ears are above the seat shell or if her shoulders are above the top harness slots for forward facing, whichever happens first. And ugh, I'm with you and hate the thought of a child in a booster at such an inappropriately young age.

HIU8
04-11-2006, 08:22 AM
I have also run into this and it pains me to hear it and see the child in the seat. Heck, DS is 17 months 33 inches and 21ish lbs and still rear facing in a Marathon (hoping to get to 33 lbs RF) and some of my friends think I'm nuts (I even had a hard time with my mother and MIL about the RF, but with the help of everyone here, they get it now). DS will remain RF until 33 lbs unless he starts complaining (which he hasn't done yet).

I even had to really convince my sister who is due any day with #1 about carseat safety. In fact, I'm still getting her info so she can remain up to date.

Heather
DS 11/27/04

SI_Mommy
04-11-2006, 08:50 AM
I know how frustrating it is. I have friends with 2 year old triplets that they put in booster seats because it's "easier" than putting them in carseats. It makes me crazy, but you can only give them the information and hope they're never in an accident. Some people just don't get it, but it's upsetting to see.

Leslie, mommy to DD Kayla 03/26/03, DS Ryan 01/26/05

Joolsplus2
04-12-2006, 10:17 AM
Uuuuuugh...I agree, tops of ears to top of seatback is the max (even if the shoulders are a bit above the harness, that's way safer than a booster....).

Sometimes you just have to say what little you can say, and pray as much as you can pray (that should be my new motto, lol).

:)
Julie CPS Tech and mom to 3 in seats
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx

niccig
04-12-2006, 09:47 PM
A friend of mine did the same thing, but her DC couldn't sleep in the car, and before you know it, he was in another harnessed seat. Maybe this will happen if she goes ahead with the booster.

Kat_Mom2D_J_andRuthie
04-12-2006, 10:21 PM
this is a good point... ask her if she's ever thought of how her daughter can/will flop around in a booster.... and what would happen if she were doing that when the mom got in a crash (god forbid)

I think the real point is... it scares me when people talk of putting kids this young in boosters... the older my kids are, the older I think the minimums should be... right now I think... 6yrs or 45lbs/45"

I want them to really FIT the booster... and be old enough and mature enough.

Ruthie, of course, may not see a booster till she's in second grade if I can avoid it.

She's 35lbs, but only using the 3rd slots of the Marathon and she's pretty leggy... so I've got my fingers crossed that she'll stay in the third slots till age 4... her brother was older than 4 when he moved into that seat and he is not as leggy... yet he still was just barely over the third slots.

I about swallowed my tongue when someone posted on another board about putting 19mo old in a turbobooster... I don't get why people wouldn't want to keep their baby harnessed... if for no reason than to get their money's worth out of the seat (and in this case, the child is small enough to rearface)

niccig
04-13-2006, 01:59 PM
That's a suggestion, casually mention that kiddos generally can't sleep in boosters and that might change her mind. I suppose it would depend on how often they're in the car.

I wonder if people put kiddos in boosters because they think it'll be easy than strapping them into a 5-point harness. Doesn't make sense to me either.

Kat_Mom2D_J_andRuthie
04-13-2006, 02:38 PM
yeah... and putting a kid in forward facing is easier than RF (note the sarcasm)

Kat

babybunny
04-19-2006, 09:08 AM
Mu DS (11/21/04) is also 33 inches and 21ish lbs and still rear facing in a Marathon as well!!!! My DH at first threatened to turn him around at one. But, DS loves to look out the back window of the car and look for doggies.

My sister-in-law turned around her DS at age one. It makes me crazy!

mom2acrew
04-19-2006, 02:46 PM
Do live near me lol I was just dealing w/ a neighbor like this. I finally convinced her to just come to a seat check with him and see what the other 10 techs will say. Our SK coordinator will eat her alive but she deserves it for making such a poor choice.

Sorry that is kind of mean but people like this frustate me too :)

DebbieJ
04-19-2006, 06:13 PM
Yeah, well, our annual seat check event in our town is the first weekend of June. Should I bump my post from last year after I dealt with the idiots there? I don't think I'll be sending my neighbor.

~ deb
DS born at home 12/03

Kat_Mom2D_J_andRuthie
04-19-2006, 07:27 PM
do... I love the idiot stories.

Kat

DebbieJ
04-19-2006, 08:15 PM
okay, I'll go find it. :)

~ deb
DS born at home 12/03