PDA

View Full Version : Cosco Apex 65 - tightening straps

mom2twins
04-10-2006, 07:23 PM
Hello All,
Well we decided on the Apex 65 for DH car (Matrix) and installed them without a hitch until....we went to take DS and DD for a ride around the block in their new seats. We went to strap them in and we can't get the straps to tighten enough. The pull strap does not slide very well, but we can tighten it to a point and then it just sticks and doesn't budge. My husband took the seat out and worked with it to see what was preventing it from pulling further and just couldn't figure it out. We are having the same problem with both seats. Any advice?

Also the crotch strap also seems awfully tight (i.e. close to their crotch), even when we use the slot that is furthest out. Will this prevent us from using it to the full 65 lb. limit or are they unlikely to grow in a manner that will cause this to be a problem?

Thanks again for all your help!

Amy

Joolsplus2
04-12-2006, 12:50 PM
Usually when the harness sticks, it is getting 'stuck' between the vehicle seat and the car seat...or the 'splitter plate' or 'harness yoke' is getting caught somewhere under there. Sometimes moving the straps up to the next harness slot can move the splitter plate so it's not getting trapped or hooked anymore...but obviously you don't want to move the harness way up past the top of the shoulders...so hmmm... (not a lot of people have this seat yet, so I'm not sure if that IS the problem, but that's a pretty common issue).
Most kids don't have problems with tighter crotch straps... sometimes stockier boys complain, mostly about the Marathon, which has only a 6 inch crotch depth, but it's not a complaint I read every day (more like a couple times a year, lol)...I don't know the crotch strap depth on that seat, either (hmmm...time to take my measuring tape to babies r us...).

Sorry I don't have any fabulously helpful answer :(
Julie CPS Tech and mom to 3 in seats
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx

mom2twins
04-20-2006, 01:34 PM
Thanks so much for the feedback. DH worked on it and finally got the staps to loosen/tighthen freely. The way he did it was by loosening the straps all the way first, then installing the seat then tightening it. For some reason, that did the trick. Thanks for your help.

Take care,

Amy

Splash
04-20-2006, 08:15 PM
The crotch strap on this seat is very deep. I'd measure it for you (I have one installed in my car) but I don't feel like walking outside! WAY deeper than anything Britax though.

It's easy to adjust the harness tightness on mine, so... I can't help ya there!