PDA

View Full Version : safeguard to go

tribecamom
04-10-2006, 10:59 PM
I know it is not FAA compatible, but does it seem perfect for travel for a over 40+er that can fly in a plane seat...

has anyone tried to install it?

tribecamom
04-11-2006, 07:08 PM
it looks like a cool option

Scatterbunny
04-11-2006, 07:46 PM
Only one mom I know of has tried it, and that's because she's a CPST and got one just to try out. I don't think she's had much time to play with it yet, though.

It's so new, I don't think anybody has any experience with it yet.

Joolsplus2
04-12-2006, 10:10 AM
I saw it at Lifesavers! Oh, it's REALLY cool...like a Starriser Comfy with a harness, lol. It installs considerably better with LATCH than the seatbelt, though, and does require a top tether (it's more like a 'vest' than a seat, in terms of how it's categorized and the requirements that apply to it).
Anyway, I give it a thumbs up if you are renting a car or know you have a newer car at your destination... the travel bag is definitely small enough to put in carryon compartments so it won't get lost if it's luggage, too.
Julie CPS Tech and mom to 3 in seats
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx

tribecamom
04-12-2006, 11:00 AM
you are renting (which frankly is a conundrum because each manufacturer has its own limits and it is impossible to know for sure what rental car you are getting in advance and the limits are never in the car manual even if you could read it in the parking lot with a bunch of screaming kids

does the safeguard itself have a latch weight limit???

Joolsplus2
04-12-2006, 12:44 PM
well, renting as opposed to taking a cab...since most cars rented are new enough to have latch, but oh man, I just rode in some ancient funky cabs this weekend...gag....

You're going to love this (even though it sounds unreal...)
you can use the harness with the Go for the entire 30-60 pound weight limit! The 48 pound lower latch limit is such because it accounts for 48 pounds of kid and about 20 pounds of seat, but the Go weighs only 9 pounds, so it doesn't take up much of the total weight limit (plus, the top tether helps spread the force...other seats can NOT have the top tether in use to pass the minimum standards, and it really helps seats perform much much better and spreads out the weight much better overall).

o_mom
04-12-2006, 12:45 PM
Julie, did you get a chance to measure the width?

Thanks!

Joolsplus2
04-12-2006, 01:36 PM
I think Heather did...I need to actually go read 'our' blog that I haven't posted on or read <blush>.

:)

Kat_Mom2D_J_andRuthie
04-12-2006, 02:13 PM
I read it... they did so much testing... Safeguard has done an awesome job with their seats.

I agree this seat is ideal for children who can sit in a regular airplane seat but need a seat for when they get to the destination.

And, when you compare it to other harnessed seats and seats that convert to boosters, I think it's priced reasonably.

Kat

tribecamom
04-12-2006, 06:07 PM
if you are NOT a tech

and where is this blog?????

tribecamom
04-12-2006, 06:27 PM
How do you compare it to the Rider Safer Travel Vest which is another travel option--in harnessed mode, is the safeguard to go "safer" because it is more of a carseat than a vest or are they very similar (I think it is more convenient because it can stay in the car installed and doesn't need to be reharnessed every time, but I am also interested in the safety factor?)

Kat_Mom2D_J_andRuthie
04-12-2006, 10:14 PM
I don't think safer would pertain... they are pretty similar... but possibly safer could be said if you go with ease of use... the safeguard go would be easier to use, that's for sure, as it's more like a traditional carseat.

Joolsplus2
04-13-2006, 07:23 AM
I think the RideSafer is slightly more versatile, because it can be used with just a lap/shoulderbelt, and it's smaller...so it'd be handier for trips involving taxis, IMO. The Safeguard is probably better for longer trips, since it does stay in the car.
In terms of frontal crashes, they are both awesome, due to their shape, they perform better than other seats (head starts further back in the crash, less likelihood of striking the front seatbacks), but I believe the Go is better in a side impact...both because of the wings and that the child is raised up to take best advantage of the side curtain airbags. We use our RideSafer at Grandma's house... it takes a second more than fastening a harnessed seat, but it's not difficult to work with at all (I was hoping for an excuse to buy a Go, but darn if Grandma has a 1999 car with no top tethers, even :P )

:)

catfeet
04-13-2006, 05:09 PM
It has a travel bag? Does it fold small enough to be brought the plane as carry-on luggage?

Ann,
who's had her travel booster lost when ds1 was _REALLY_ sick on a plane(throwing up every 10 minutes).. and didn't like the looks of the backless boosters from the 70's avalible in the lost luggage room, lol...

Kat_Mom2D_J_andRuthie
04-14-2006, 01:29 AM
yepper... that's the selling point... it's so small it can fit under an airplane seat or in the overhead compartment.

Kat