PDA

View Full Version : Cosco Scenera, Graco Comfort Sport or Evenflo Triumph ?

Jacksmommy2b
04-11-2006, 09:44 AM
According to the carseat database the Britaxs won't install properly in my car.

The website reccomends the Graco and the database said it will fit - but I know it is not a favorite around here.

any recomendations?

TIA
Dena

Neatfreak
04-11-2006, 10:16 AM
If it fits in your vehicle well, you would probably get the most long-term use out of the Scenara. It will likely take longer for your child to grow out of it both height-wise and weight-wise than the ComfortSport or the Truimph.

kellyotn
04-11-2006, 11:14 AM
If a Scenera (5 point, not overhead shield) fits, I'd definitely go that route. The ComfortSport is outgrown way too fast by height, and the Triumph isn't a lot better. My friend's son outgrew is right around he second birthday, he lasted in his infant carrier until about 10 months, so she get very little use out of it for him. (But did pass it down to a new baby.) He still technically fit, but just looked terribly cramped in the shoulder area especially. She really liked the seat though.

My DD rides in a Scenera at 3.5, though she is finally getting very close to outgrowing it. But, there's no WAY she'd have fit into my friend's Triumph for at least the last year.

The Scenera is pretty plain when looking at all the other "fluffy" ones in the store, but its really a nice seat. My DD also rides in a MA primarily and never complains at all about the Scenera's padding. I think WE care more than most kids do. ;) The Walmart one is my favorite color - black and tan. Target's is navy and light blue, Kmart's is brown. BRU apparently has a new Deluxe model with more padding for $80 or so, but I've never seen it to say if its worth it or not.

What car do you drive? Maybe someone here can help with it specifically.

jeanum
04-11-2006, 12:15 PM
If it will fit your car, among the choices you listed, I'd definitely go with the 5-point Scenera. It can rear face up to 35 lbs. and most kids would be able to use it rear facing up to that weight limit instead of outgrowing it first by height due to its higher seatback. The Cosco Touriva, previous version of the Scenera, was the last of the 40 lb. maximum weight convertible carseats that my long torsoed daughter outgrew by height. We were able to use the Touriva as a spare seat for her until she was age 3. She outgrew a Century Accel, the previous version of the Comfort Sport, by height by age 2, and she was too tall to use a Britax Roundabout by around age 2.5. My daughter never complained about the padding in the Touriva even though her primary seat is a Marathon in which she's still riding at 42" and 41 lbs. at age 4. The Scenera also seems to have more padding than the Touriva. For around $40, the Scenera is a good basic seat for a great price.

Also, if you're going to use the carseat rear facing, the Comfort Sport's harness adjuster is going to be difficult to reach and use because it will be jammed up against your vehicle's seatback. Depending on your vehicle seat's contours, the Triumph's harness knobs/dials may or may not be easy to use rear facing. I found the Cosco's adjuster was accessible and worked well even when used rear facing.

HTH and good luck in finding a seat that works for your car.

aguinn
04-11-2006, 01:15 PM
You don't say what kind of car you have or if your DC is FF or RF, but out of the ones you listed, I've only used the Comfort Sport (see this post: http://tinyurl.com/q69d6) and here is what I said about it on November 3, 2004:

"well, here's one vote strongly *against* the graco comfort sport. i wrestle with this seat each and every time we go to visit my folks and the last time i almost set it aflame i was so angry! it is poorly made and a PITA to install, and my mom has an SUV so it's not like i was trying to fit it into a smaller vehicle. thankfully, most of the time we visit them we drive (from MA to VA) and have our own MA with us, but there are a few times each year when i fly down with DS for a visit and have to use the comfort sport. i stresses me out just thinking about it! ugh!"

Now, maybe the seat has been revamped since then, but if I were you, I'd try to install it in my car before buying it. Or better yet, avoid it all together. If it helps, the car I was referring to, my mom's SUV, is a Honda MDX.

If you can, I'd try to borrow a Britax from a friend and see if it will install in your car. Unless the Web site is truly *THE* word on these subjects and never wrong? I don't know... maybe a CPS tech will chime in here and correct me! ;)

;)amy
momma to DS#1 "Big Brother" (BB) and, finally, DS#2 "Little Brother" (LB)

http://b3.lilypie.com/Eygrm4/.png[/img][/url]
http://b1.lilypie.com/ur0Am4/.png[/img][/url]

"Children are the living messages we send to a time we will not see." ~ Neil Postman