PDA

View Full Version : Outgrowing Touriva - what's next??

KrisM
04-11-2006, 01:20 PM
DS is in a Touriva FF in DH's car. He has about 1/4" before being "at" the top slots, so I imagine we don't have too much longer before he outgrows the seat by height. What do we get next?

DS is nearly 2 years old, about 34" tall and 31 lbs. DH's car is a Saturn SL with no LATCH.

There will soon be a BT Latch Loc next to the seat, so width is likely a consideration.

Thanks.

Scatterbunny
04-11-2006, 02:37 PM
Do the two seats have to go next to each other, or can both be outboard? The Touriva is an incredibly narrow seat, no others on the market are that narrow, so fitting the new seat next to the infant seat may pose a challenge. Just be prepared for that.

He must be all torso, to be so close to the top slots. My dd didn't get too tall for the Touriva until she was closer to 40 inches tall. :)

How close to 2 is he? I ask because it's important to decide when you think he will reach 40 pounds (knowing his exact age and looking up the CDC growth charts will help pinpoint this), and if you think he will be mature enough to move to a belt positioning booster at that point. Most kids should be at least 4 years old and 40 pounds before moving to a booster, but some kids aren't ready until 5-6, or older. Boosters are a downgrade in safety, too, so it's important to think about it and decide if you'd like the option of harnessing longer.

What is your maximum budget?

What year is your Saturn?

Knowing the answers to those things will help us figure out the best options for you.

jeanum
04-11-2006, 03:19 PM
Maybe a Graco Cargo would work for you? It's 17" wide so it's about an inch wider than the Touriva, but narrower than most other options. The Cargo is a forward facing combination seat that's harnessed to 40 lbs. and has high top harness slots that are about 17" tall, then converts to a belt positioning booster. There are several versions of the Cargo out there, the pricier ones have front harness adjusters (an absolute necessity IMO), and some versions like the Platinum Cargo also have additional padding.

In DH's Saturn L100 mid size sedan, I could get the Graco Platinum Cargo to fit easily side by side with the Baby Trend Latch Loc base but both were installed using LATCH.

I also barely managed to get the Cargo to fit next to the Latch Loc in my parent's smaller '96 Saturn SW1 wagon (non LATCH) when I had to borrow their car last summer. I can't remember if I did this using the Latch Loc base or just the infant seat itself. The SW1's backseat room is probably pretty similar to the 1997 and newer SL model. Pre-1997 model years of the Saturn SL were a bit smaller IIRC. We've had almost every Saturn model except the Ion over the past 12 years, but that was before we had two kids.:)

If you're near a Babies 'R Us, it would really be good to try out the Cargo floor model in the car to see how it fits.

HTH and good luck.

KrisM
04-11-2006, 08:20 PM
They could be outboard, I'd just rather keep him in the safer, center position. Honestly, I haven't tried the Latch Loc next to him now. I should do that!

He's pretty long in the torso. He's only in 24 month size pants, even though he taller and heavier than the "recommended" range for them.

He'll be 2 this month. I don't think he'll hit 40 lbs before 4 years old. I'd rather wait longer than that for a regular booster anyway. I want to keep him harnessed longer.

I'll spend what I need to spend. As I said, I want him to be harnessed as long as he can be. I had hoped the Touriva would last a lot longer, but I think we should have gotten a Britax for that car, too. I have a Wizard in my car and he'll be in that as long as he can be.

The Saturn is a 2000.

Thanks!

KrisM
04-11-2006, 08:22 PM
Thanks for a suggestion. I had forgotten about trying them out at BRU.

Tomorrow, I'll try to fit the LL in the car with the Touriva and see what kind of room is there.

Scatterbunny
04-11-2006, 11:40 PM
Yes, the CarGo is the narrowest combination seat, it is only an inch wider than the Touriva. It has nice, tall top slots (only about half in inch lower than the Wizard you've got now), but it doesn't make a stellar long-term booster, so you'd only be paying for harnessed mode.

The Evenflo Bolero/Generations ($90-$100) and the Recaro Young Sport ($250) have tall top slots (Evenflo a tad lower and Recaro a tad higher than the CarGo), 40 pound weight limits and make good long-term boosters because they adjust taller in booster mode to accomodate most kids to 4'9". The Recaro has EPS foam and deep sidewings for side impact protection, the Bolero/Generations does not.

Those are pretty much it for 40 pound weight limit combos.

The Cosco Apex harnesses to 65 pounds with top slots the same as the Wizard, but it can only be used with vehicle headrest or seatback at least up to the tips of the child's ears (it must be treated as a backless booster; the carseat shell alone does not provide adequate head support). It is about $130.

There's also the Britax Regent if you want to harness as long as possible. You could use either the Regent or Wizard in the primary car, depending on side impact ratings of each car.

KrisM
04-12-2006, 07:47 PM
Boy, now I'm wondering if I should just get a Boulevard, since it'll harness for a long time and is narrower than the Regent.

Kat_Mom2D_J_andRuthie
04-12-2006, 10:25 PM
I'd go for the Boulevard... it sounds to me like he will hit 40lbs before age 4... and he'll have a sibling to pass it down to... I'd just go for it.

Scatterbunny
04-13-2006, 01:16 PM
Yes, if you like the Boulevard, I'd go for it!