PDA

View Full Version : lap belt in center back seat?

tjham
04-11-2006, 01:47 PM
My husband has a new Ford truck and it just has a lap belt in the center of the back seat. Last night we picked up a relative and her 2 kids for a short ride to a restaurant. I hadn't even thought about the middle seat since my Expedition has lap shoulder in the middle. They got in and the 9 yr. old got in the middle and they all buckled up. (I was grateful for that, I thought I was going to have to argue about it) My husband and I differ greatly on what is safe so I didn't say anything (it was his side of the family)since at least they were buckled in. So I really couldn't have done anything differently anyway. But realistically, who is least in danger sitting in a lap belt, an older child or an adult?

Scatterbunny
04-11-2006, 02:33 PM
All three rear seats were occupied, correct? With a carseat outboard, the 9yo in the middle and the adult outboard?

Ideally, I would have placed the carseat in the middle and let the 9yo and adult ride outboard to have shoulderbelts. I would have made sure everyone was aware of the dangers of riding in a lapbelt-only.

In my (non-tech) opinion, the child is safER in the lapbelt because s/he is smaller. The adult would have greater head excursion, increasing the chances of head injuries. The adult is also heavier, so would have more weight flying forward, placing more stress on the body.

It's a tough call, though. I don't think it's safe at all to let anyone ride in a lapbelt, for any reason other than a dire emergency.

tjham
04-12-2006, 01:01 AM
Oops, I left out that the other child is 11 so no carseat was involved. (Guess this question doesn't really belong in the car seat forum, I just happen to be here ALL the time so thought I would ask you guys.)

kellyotn
04-12-2006, 08:12 AM
From http://www.cpsafety.org/articles/lapbelts.aspx

"An adult is safer in a lap-only belt than a child." Their reasoning is that on an adult, at LEAST the belt is properly positioned, where on a child its likely inadequate and improperly positioned.

But, its really not ideal for any passenger. I don't know why they still put them in. My husband's Ford truck is the same way. But, we always have a car seat there. ;)

Next time, just insist on taking two cars. :)

Joolsplus2
04-12-2006, 10:06 AM
Jenny, adults have bigger hips and smaller heads than kids... so are actually at less risk of seatbelt syndrome from a lapbelt than a child would be, with her small hips and proportionately larger head.

Definitely a carseat should always be in the lap-only position when possible, though.

:)
Julie CPS Tech and mom to 3 in seats
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx

Scatterbunny
04-12-2006, 03:35 PM
Thanks, guys! I guess it's something I'd never paid any attention to because I've never even considered putting ANYONE in a lapbelt-only spot before.

I did ponder the fact that adults have stronger hips and smaller heads, but the head excursion thing is what really threw me.

Kat_Mom2D_J_andRuthie
04-12-2006, 10:56 PM
hey, you were right to think of it now so you know what to do in the future... the adult should take the lapbelt.

tjham
04-12-2006, 11:20 PM
>
>Next time, just insist on taking two cars. :)

Yes!