PDA

View Full Version : LATCH and belt question

o_mom
04-12-2006, 06:30 PM
OK, I know the answer to this, but need some sort of reference. I was checking out a friends BV today to see if the adjuster is as hard as our DC. Anyway, I noticed they have BOTH LATCH and seatbelt installed (FF, 05 Honda Odyssey). I mentioned that you shouldn't do that and she was all "Oh, I didn't see that anywhere in the manual - I'll have to look again". So, I told her to look at it (should have said call Britax but I wasn't thinking), but would like something to give her about it. It doesn't say in the manual NOT to do it, but it certainly doesn't say TO do it (at least I couldn't find it explicitly forbidden).

I'll tell her to call Britax, but wondered if anyone has a reference....

Thanks!

Kat_Mom2D_J_andRuthie
04-12-2006, 10:48 PM
well, they don't test the seat that way... so she's using her child as a crash test dummy, but I can't find anything definitive, either.

Kat

Joolsplus2
04-13-2006, 07:15 AM
And one CSR at Britax actually approved it, as long as one of the systems is LOOSE... because if both systems are TIGHT, then the G-forces on the chest will be considerably magnified (you want to hold the child in place, but you also want to slow down how fast they are stopping.. using both belts too tight will not slow down how fast the child stops... think of it like catching an egg: you want your hand to catch it slowly so it doesn't break, for example).

But anyway, I have a friend who has a contact at Britax, and I'll tell her to mention this is a possible concern :)

Julie CPS Tech and mom to 3 in seats
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx