PDA

View Full Version : Car Seat Help Needed

mamatomax
04-13-2006, 06:36 PM
I have to purchase a second car seat. I have a Marathon in my car, but I can't afford to buy another one for my husband's car. I am wondering what the difference is between the Cosco Scenera and the Regal Ride. Does the Regal Ride recline? Which one is more safe and comfortable?
Thanks,
Jill

kellyotn
04-13-2006, 09:39 PM
I think they are pretty much the same. The Scenera is the updated model. I *think* one may be a hair narrower, but I can't recall. The Scenera may also have slightly nicer fabrics. If you can find the Scenera I'd go that route, but if not a Regal Ride is fine! (Check the manufacture date though, you don't want it to be too old.)

Are you using it front facing? They don't have a recline adjustment for front facing (at least the Scenera doesn't).

My DD rides in an MA and a Scenera, she's perfectly happy in either. She's a big car sleeper and has no problem. She's 3.5 and I'm taking it out this week b/c she's getting too tall. I'm pretty sad, its a really good seat! (Especially for the price!)

mamatomax
04-13-2006, 10:52 PM
DS is 9 1/2 months, so he'll be RF for quite some time. In the BB car seat update thing that I just downloaded, it says that the Regal Ride has more padding. I'm wondering if there is a noticable difference. It looks like the Regal Ride has the same shell that the Touriva has. Is the Touriva even made anymore? I saw on the Consumer Reports website that they aren't the same thing (Regal Ride & Touriva). So confusing!

Thanks,
Jill

kellyotn
04-14-2006, 08:45 AM
Hmmm, I was always always under the impression the Regal Ride and Touriva were just two different names for seats (with different color covers) carried at Target vs. Walmart. Consumer Reports isn't the end all be all for car seats, so I'd take them with a grain of salt.

They DO each have an overhead bar version, which you want to avoid. I guess I assumed that the Touriva and Regal Rides were all older now, as the Scenera replaced them?? Maybe you'll have to call Cosco to verify. I guess I thought the Scenera's cover was "nicer", but I don't really remember how. Seems like it attached or fit better or something like that.

There is a Deluxe Scenera at BRU now, its $80 and is supposed to be more padded than a regular. I haven't seen it to know if its worth double the price, but worth a look.

When my 3.5 year old DD rides in DH's truck its for a 4 hour ride. If she found it uncomfy compared to her MA, trust me she'd let us know. :) If they made a bigger Scenera-like seat, I'd already own it for DH's truck. I'm very happy with it.

Joolsplus2
04-14-2006, 10:21 AM
The Fields' write their reviews without consulting us... we're way more up to date, lol. And Consumer Reports sucks eggs (I suppose I could elaborate, but let's leave it at that...)

:)
Julie CPS Tech and mom to 3 in seats
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx