PDA

View Full Version : infant car seat for june baby

junebaby2006
04-14-2006, 04:33 PM
Hi everyone. If you were having a baby in June, which infant car seat would you be getting? I am confused as to whether the gracopedic foam is better to get for comfort or if it will be too hot for a summer baby and I am not sure if the keyfit or the graco infant seat would be a better choice. Which one would you get?

Kat_Mom2D_J_andRuthie
04-15-2006, 01:54 AM
I would get the Graco Safeseat.

It will last you through at least two winters that way... any other seat, it might or might not, but I'll bet anything the Graco Safeseat will.... and winters are easier when you can bundle up baby in the seat and just carry the warm baby in seat out to the car.

the gracopedic foam isn't that much extra padding... but if you want it, go for it.

catfeet
04-15-2006, 07:36 AM
I had a June baby 2 years ago. I got the avalible Graco at that time. It did work. However, I didn't like the seat that much and got rid of it at my first opportunity. The best thing about it was the very adjustable hood. This was just before they came out with the Gracopedic foam, though I did drool over it a couple months later. ;-) I don't think the foam would make the seat hotter, just more comfy.

This year, I'm having another in Sept. and have chosen the Combi Connection due to it's light weight. One of my big issues with the Graco was how heavy & bulky it was. The Combi seems to be much lighter and thinner...seems to fit my body shape much better too, for carrying on a hip.

The choices you've listed are good ones. Anything you chose will do the job. I suggest you go to a brick & mortar store & try these seats out. Maybe see how awkward they are to carry with somthing heavy in them.

HTH,
Ann

jeanum
04-15-2006, 07:38 AM
I agree, a June baby could get through at least the first winter in the Safe Seat and I recommend it. But maybe not a second winter though, depending on the baby's size and proportions. My June '05 baby is long torsoed and I began using a Safe Seat for her in January after she outgrew a smaller infant seat by height (Baby Trend Latch Loc). She's 30" tall and on the verge of outgrowing the Safe Seat by height with only slightly more than an inch of seat shell above her head. Had the Safe Seat been available last summer, I would have gone with it from birth because long torsoed babies run in my family, but the Safe Seat wasn't on the market until later last year. Mine doesn't have the foam either. And it's a heavier seat when empty, about 9 lbs. but most seats feel awkward and heavy to me with a baby above the size of a newborn. I don't like to carry it very far with my 19.5 lb. baby in it, that's for sure, and I'm very strong, too.

HTH.

Kat_Mom2D_J_andRuthie
04-15-2006, 01:42 PM
I agree... every baby is different... Ruthie would have made it till around 20-22mo... and she's on the longer end of things... and would have outgrown it by weight... so the fact that it would get through 1-2 winters (those first winters with a baby just terrify new moms) and the fact that it can be used with or without the base (making it longer before you'd have to have a second or third seat because you don't even need extra bases to just put this in and out of cars easily), are why it would be my fav for a summer baby.

Otherwise, a baby who is born in June could be out of a 20-22lb limit seat by November... and then winter hits.

Now, if you live in Florida, it obviously wouldn't be an issue, but there, you'd have the hot summers... and you can have baby buckled up in the air-conditioned house... go start the car... go back inside... and when the car is cooled... go... it also makes for faster getting out of car and into wherever you are going.

for some kids (who are leggy or petite) it could even let you skip the convertible and let you go straight to the Regent.

I just keep coming back to this seat, unless you have a preemie who would fit better in the chicco keyfit.

cmcb
04-17-2006, 05:27 PM
Our baby is due May 30 and we are giong with the Safe Seat and the SnugRide Infant Car Seat Frame as the stroller. Most of my friends with babies up to a year said they would have used this one over those that they chose because of the 30 pound limit and the light stroller (as opposed to the big bulky systems they got and didn't like in the end). Has anyone tried these two together?