PDA

View Full Version : Would you get a new infant seat?

Jennifer Mc
04-15-2006, 03:09 PM
Our second DS is due May 4th. We have an Evenflo infant carrier purchased five years ago (but only used for a year from 2004 to 2005)

As we no longer have the box, or installation instructions (heck, I don't even remember the model type!) I am wanting to by a new SnugRide.

But...DH seems to think it's silly, since he says we have a perfectly good infant seat already.

Had no problems with this one with DS #1, just feel like we need to "update".

But, saving the $$$ for something else would be nice, too!

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Jennifer

Jennifer Mc
04-15-2006, 03:15 PM
Ok, after scrolling through a few posts, I ran across one on the Evenflo Triumph...and that's my seat!

LOL...baby is sucking my brain cells!

Jennifer

KAK22
04-15-2006, 04:21 PM
I would purchase a new one. Most carseats have an expiration date of 5 years from manufacture date. The plastic doesn't hold up.

Laughing about the baby sucking up your brain cells. I so can relate!

Splash
04-15-2006, 04:27 PM
No, it's not ;)
The triumph is not a baby basket. It's a convertible seat. Are you thinking about the discovery or portabout?

Jennifer Mc
04-15-2006, 04:29 PM
Gah! Baby has sucked more brain cells than I thought!

Yes, it is a Portabout. LOL!

Thanks, ladies!

Splash
04-15-2006, 04:35 PM
Honestly... I'd buy a new one. a snugride or safeseat 1. Unless money is tight then I would use it (if it's within 6 years of the manufacture date- there should be a sticker on the seat itself- AND it was not part of any recall)
Five years old it could be an on my way, which did have some recalls. So did the portabout actually.
If it's still within the expiration date, and no reclls, and you still know how to safely install it or have a tech install it, you can use it just as safely as you did back then. If it's just a matter of wanting a newer/better one, and money is no object, get a new one.

Jennifer Mc
04-15-2006, 05:07 PM
We can afford it, and I would feel better about...it's just making DH understand that I am NOT just being overprotective and paranoid! ;)

I'm leaning toward the SafeSeat, as you can use it longer, but it does seem quite a bit bigger than the SnugRide (at least the base does).

Anaybody have one installed, plus a convertible for a toddler as well?

Thanks!

MamaParis
04-15-2006, 06:00 PM
I'd get a new seat!

Aside from the fact that the seat you have is about to expire - evenflo infant seats are horrible IMO.

I'd either get a graco safeseat or a Chicco Keyfit. You can leave the handle up in both (can't do that with the evenflo).
The padding is nicer in both the safeseat and keyfit compared to ANY evenflo infant seat I have ever seen.

Does your evenflo seat have a 3 pt harness? what about the adjuster? is it a front or rear harness adjuster?

If its a 3 pt harness - i'd DEFINATLEY get a new seat - jus because IMO 5 pt harnessed are safer.
And if its got a rear harness adjuster - I'd get one with a FRONT harness adjuster - simply because its SOO MUCH EASIER to use and there is less room for error with a front adjuster compared to a back adjuster - simple because its easier to use.

Soo ... You can always use those reasons for your DH.

ALSO ... the Keyfit and I belive the safeseat has nice EPS (helmet foam) foam in the seat - which absorb the energy of an accident/impact.
I'd guess that your evenflois just a palstic shell with a cover on it, right?

So today there are SOOOO many new safety features that make it a worthwhile upgrade! :)

I'd highly suggest the Graco Safe Seat or the Chicco Keyfit - we have the keyfit and LOVE LOVE LOVE this seat!

*Front Adjsuter
*5 pt harness
*HIGHER weight/height limits which will last you a lot longer than your old seat.
*EPS foam in the head area
*Can keep the handle up in the car
*can be installed WITHOUT the base - some evenflo infant seats always require the base to be used - which isn't a big deal to most people - but when you find your self in a situation where you NEED to use it without the base ... its worth it to have the option!! :)

Godo luck!

jennmcl39
04-17-2006, 02:50 PM
Thanks for all your input!

We got the SafeSeat today.

Pointed out to DH that the baby can get a lot more use out of it, as he can stay in this seat for at least a year.

Also pointed out the new safety features, etc.

So, again, thanks for all your help!!!