PDA

View Full Version : Am I crazy for considering this?

MonicaH
04-17-2006, 06:11 AM
My 7 month old DD is outgrowing her snugride. I think I've finally figured out the differences between the various Britax seats, and here's what I've come up with.

1. We need a seat for mine and DH's cars (both Passats, both have side impact airbags, one has LATCH), probably a Marathon in each.

2. We need a seat for the nanny's car. For this I am leaning towards a Boulevard because she has a grandchild whose seat is also in her car, therefore my DD's seat would have to be outboard and her car doesn't have side impact airbags.

3. We might be moving to where my parents live later this year, so I am thinking that when that happens they will need a carseat too for occasional use, so would likely get a Scenara for that situation.

Probably by the time she's outgrown the Scenara she'll be in day care so we can make do with 3 seats between DH's, grandma's, and my cars.

Does this sound outrageous? We can afford it, so price is not a problem, but I'm wondering if it's overkill. I'm so paranoid about the safety stuff.

Thanks,
Monica

deenass
04-17-2006, 06:43 AM
I'm not familiar with the Scenara or the BLvd, so I'm not commenting on you seat choice, only supporting your decision to buy 4 seats.

We own 3, one is my car, one is DH and one is my mom's (all Roundabouts). DH and I both drive DS around as does my mom and as DH can best the tightest and best fit and he's not always around to switch out the seats.

Best decsion we made, my son is always in a safe seat which we all know how to use (and on the occassion when I've carpooled, I've always had an extra seat I know how to use).

jeanum
04-17-2006, 07:08 AM
Sounds like you have a great plan, and if you can afford the seats, I would go right ahead. The Britax seats are fairly easy to install but a bit on the heavy side for moving them around from vehicle to vehicle. If your DD is going to ride in three cars on a regular basis, it's probably worth having the three seats. The seat you intend to use in the nanny's car could also be a spare seat later or a seat to install in grandma's car if you do move closer, but the $40 Scenera is also a good choice for travel and using occasionally. Sounds like you've really done your homework. :)

mom2acrew
04-17-2006, 09:14 AM
Not that you need any more encouraging but I agree it is worth it to buy those seats. The BV and MA have the great option of rear facing tethering which does complicate install slighty, enough that you will not want to be moving seats around often. Not so much that it is hard to install the seats though.

Splash
04-17-2006, 11:23 AM
I've got a BV in my car, a baby basket in my partner's car, an Alpha Omega in my best friend's car (though seriously wanting to put a Britax in her car too due to installation issues) a BV in my living room waiting/looking for it's next car, and a spare seat just in case.
When I was fostering, I owned a dozen or more car seats. For our two daughters, I had a total of seven harness seats and one booster installed in 4 vehicles. PLUS their extra seats in the house just in case.
If your child is going to be spending a lot of time in each of these vehicles, and you have the money, go for it.

essnce629
04-18-2006, 01:57 AM
Sounds good to me. I have 2 Roundabouts (one for my and my boyfriend's car), a Cosco Tourvia for the little girl I babysit, and I just got a new Boulevard to replace the RA that was in my car and my son is outgrowing (I don't have side airbags). My bf's RA expires next month and I'm thinking of getting a second BV for his car since he doesn't have side airbags either.

***Latia
Birth and Postpartum Doula
http://www.socaldoula.com

Conner 8/19/03 (homebirthed water baby)
http://www.babiesonline.com/babies/a/aug2003angel
http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_sapphire_24m.gif Self-weaned at 24 months!

Kat_Mom2D_J_andRuthie
04-19-2006, 12:53 AM
that's exactly my thoughts... you can afford it... safety is priceless... why not?

and you're also thinking of what vehicles he'll be in the most... it totally makes sense... and no one on this board would call it crazy.

I've also been through more seats than I would like to admit.

Kat

Christeen_Trevor
04-19-2006, 08:55 PM
We have a marathon for my dd. She is 2 and we bought it when she outgrew the length in her snugride at 4 mo. We only have 1 car seat but she only rides in my car. My dh has an older car that he drives to work and thats all. Work is 2 miles from our house. I drive her around all the time and when my husband is home, we ride together as a family in the newer car that I drive.
When I have rode with friends, I have found it very easy to take the seat out of my car and install it in their car.

Christeen