PDA

View Full Version : Carseats ineffective for kids over 2? Huh?

trumansmom
04-17-2006, 12:55 PM
DH said he saw something on tv the other night about a recent research study that reviewed accident reports and hospital records and whatever else. They apparently concluded that over the age of 2, carseats made no difference in the level of injury. I'm having a really hard time believing this. Did anyone else see this story? Any clue where I could find it on the internet? I'm obsessing on it!

TIA-

Jeanne
Mom to Truman 11/01 and Eleanor 4/04

Kat_Mom2D_J_andRuthie
04-17-2006, 12:56 PM
it was the guy who wrote Freakanomics... it's obviously a lot of BS.

Kat

kellyotn
04-17-2006, 04:02 PM
Yeah, their whole MO is bringing to light "shocking" statistics or statistics that everyone thinks is opposite. So, they likely go in with a bias. I also think statistics can be bent in a variety of ways - change the sample size, tweak the variables, etc.

http://a.abcnews.com/2020/story?id=1842987&page=1

I'll stick with getting my child passenger safety info from child passenger safety experts over economists. ;)

Seems like their book a long time ago included some junk about car seats too, not sure if this is new junk or old junk. I hate that it gives parents a green light to plop a 2 year old into a seat belt with a DVD player, because you KNOW some will do it because of this "information".

chlobo
04-17-2006, 05:10 PM
My mom saw this as well and brought it to my attention. I just *don't* believe it. Perhaps one of the issues is that many carseats are installed incorrectly? Or that kids are strapped in properly? I would love to see the sample they used.

shancam
04-17-2006, 07:09 PM
I saw this too. The author is stating that carseats are as effective as a dvd player in keeping a child seated in a car. The conclusion was that if the seat is not installed and used properly (child securely fastened) that you may as well just put on a dvd to get him
to sit still in a car.

Bottom line: anyone concerned enough to be on this board is doing the right thing!!

tribecamom
04-17-2006, 08:07 PM
"you are right--proper use of seats is all the difference"
basically his take away was that seats are often misinstalled and misused, in which event the big safety margin is from back seat vs front seat

MamaKath
04-17-2006, 08:48 PM
My husband saw this also and gave me his take. I have not watched it yet, but he did tivo it. I'll try to watch it this week. He said it is based on the statistics of more than 80% of carseats being incorrectly installed and/or used. Based on that number it would be pretty true.

I know I recently let the school I work at know I would not physically strap kids in anymore (we were helping the parents since they are in a line, so we would belt etc.) I would say for every 20 kids I walk to their cars, at least 16 leave with major no-nos as far as strapping from inappropriate carseats (this is the BIG downside to the popularity of the combo seats; most parents don't realize that kids are supposed to be using them as boosters!!!) to kids sitting in the front. It is really sad, especially when I really love these kids!! I say a prayer for each one's safety as they leave. :-(

Now I just bring them to the car and say good-bye, no strapping at all.
For many of those kids (kindergarten and first), especially who are over the weight limit of the combo seat they are using the straps on, they would be safer in the seatbelt alone (ETA- comment based on the reality that a 60lb kid will rip the harness out of the seat in an accident therefore safer with a belt which will hold). :-(

dms619
04-17-2006, 09:18 PM
It was a ridiculous story on 20/20 Friday night. They basically stated that installing a TV/DVD player in the car was more effective than a car seat for children over the age of 2.

Jeez, if it that was true, I could have saved a ton of money on a TV over my two Britax's ;)!

Debbie
Mommy to sweet baby Katie 6/05

Kat_Mom2D_J_andRuthie
04-17-2006, 10:45 PM
that must have been such a difficult decision for you... but I know you didn't want to risk liability there.

not to mention the sick feeling of aiding misuse.

It's too bad the parents wouldn't listen to you.