PDA

View Full Version : Car Seats Installation for Toyota Sienna

mammanik
04-18-2006, 01:33 AM
Howdy y'all...

It's been awhile since I've been around- my 9 month old was diagnosed with mild cerebral palsy and it's been doctor visits and therapy nonstop around here, especially with 4 others running around :)

Anyhow, we purchased a new minivan last week that we will be getting this week. It's a 2006 8 passenger Toyota Sienna. It has LATCH in the middle row only but 3 lap belts in the back. We have 2 older children (8 & 10) out of seats but still have 3 in seats.

4 1/2 yo dd is in a Marathon (40lbs ff). 2 1/2 yo ds is in a Fisher Price Grow With Me 5 pt (35lbs ff). 9 1/2 mo ds is in a Fisher Price Safe Embrace infant seat (17lbs rf). We are going to be getting another Marathon for either him or his older brother soon (any advice as to which one should get it?) and use the Grow With Me for the other to replace the infant seat. We would have him out of the infant seat if he could sit up on his own but he can't do that yet (he's working on it in therapy!)...

Since the Sienna is an 8 passenger, the middle row has the 2 outer seats that fold up to allow access to the back row. We were thinking of putting one or both of the older kids in those seats with the baby in the middle seat of the middle row and then put the 2 1/2 yo and 4 1/2 yo in the middle and one of the outboard seats in the back row. There are steel impact beams and side curtain airbags.

I tried searching the boards but I think I'm doing something wrong because when I type in Toyota Sienna 8 passenger minivan car seat install, it returns over 5000 messages! I tried using the "and" or "or" features also... I must have lost a lot of brain cells during my last delivery! I just can't figure it out so if this has already been addressed, I'm so sorry. If you point me inthe right direction, I'll find it! :)

Oh, and Jools, congrats! The last time I was here, you were still pregnant! :)

Hugs,
Nicole
Proud Mom of 5 Blessings

Megan Deanne 10-95
Joshua Ryan 12-97
Katelyn Marie 7-01
Zachary Russell 8-03
David Matthew 6-05

jeanum
04-18-2006, 07:38 AM
Hi there, I have an '05 8 passenger Sienna and two kids and can offer a few tips.

BTW, the '05 has LATCH and top tether anchors in the middle and passenger side of the third row, and I think that's true for your '06 model as well. There are shoulder belts for all seats even in the third row - the middle third row seat has a shoulder belt attachment that comes down from the ceiling of the cargo area and it buckles together with the lap belt to form a lap shoulder belt.

My 4 year old currently rides in her Marathon in the third row center, and I'm pretty certain that another FF Marathon would fit right next to hers in the third row passenger outboard seat. There probably would be room for another narrow seat on the third row driver's side seat but keep in mind there is no top tether anchor or LATCH in that position, just the lap/shoulder seatbelt. A narrower booster seat such as a Britax Parkway might fit in that spot next to a Marathon in the middle.

The Marathon is also very easy to install anywhere in the second row using LATCH. My 9 month old DD rides in a Graco infant Safe Seat installed with the seat belt in the second row center seat. The Britax Marathon and Boulevard seats (same seat shell) also install well RF in any of the second row seats using LATCH when I've tried them out there.

To ease getting to and from the third row, we removed the passenger side outboard seat in the second row. If you can get three seats in the third row, then you could install two seats in the second row and leave one second row outboard seat empty to flip forward to access the third row, or remove a second row seat entirely to create an aisle for easier third row access.

I also know other Sienna owners who installed 3 carseats across the second row, and two carseats in the third row center and driver's side. They keep the third row passenger side seat folded and stowed flat in the cargo floor and open the hatch to step into the back and access the third row.

The possibilities and permutations are numerous and it's a very versatile vehicle. Hope you like yours as much as I like mine, and hope this helps you some. :)

ETA: D'oh, in my sleep deprived state this morning, I forgot to mention it's possible to install just about any combination of carseats side by side/3 across in the second row. :)

DeeEast
04-18-2006, 11:59 AM
Not to Hijack, but instead of starting a new thread, I have a question about where the best place is to install three seats in a 7-seater Toyota Sienna. We have the AWD version with two bucket seats in the second row and the bench seat in the third row. But we have to have part of the third row down to fit the stroller. I was thinking of putting my forward facing 2.5 year old outboard in in her BV in one seat in the second row, a rear-facing Marathon baby in the other seat in the second row, and the other rear-facing marathon baby in the third row.

ColorBlue
04-18-2006, 01:12 PM
I can tell you what we do in your exact situation (except my car is not AWD) and trust me we tried every combination.

We have the twins rearfacing in the second row. In the second row the right hand seat can either be towards the door or pushed into the middle, we have it pushed into the middle. Then my FF daughter is in the third row on the right side. That way I can kneel down in the back to reach and hook her in her seat. It was impossible to reach into the back to buckle up any Rearfacing carseats.

What stroller do you have that it won't fit in the trunk...both my Zooper Tango and my Combi twin have fit in the trunk without needing the seat folded.

Hope that helps.

Tracy

Grace 11/01, Ella and Madeline 10/04

May_Flowers
04-18-2006, 05:06 PM
I have an 06 Sienna 8 passenger. First off there is so much room in the second row you could have a Britax Regent in a 3 spots. I would suggust putting the 3 carseats in the second row and then leaving the 40 side or the 40/60 rear split folded down. Then the older kids can just climb in the back to the 3rd row. Otherwise you'll have to crawl back there to properly strap in one of your children every time. Plus with all the younger ones in the second row you are within reach if any of them need you.

Congrats on your new van! We just love ours!!

Kat_Mom2D_J_andRuthie
04-19-2006, 01:34 AM
I would get a Regent for the oldest... give the Marathon to the baby... and keep the grow with me for the toddler.

the Marathon would be more padded and supportive.

does the grow-with-me even rearface?

Kat

mom2acrew
04-19-2006, 11:46 AM
I would probably suggest a Regent too for the oldest, and keep the 2.5 yr old in the GWM. The 9 mo old needs to rear face so he should get the MA. Putting him in the middle is fine just watch his feet when you slide the outboard seat to access the 3rd row because a tech friends DS's had his foot broken by getting caught in the seat. It stuck out just enough.

Congrats on 5! Mine is due to arrive in Sept and we can't wait.

mammanik
04-20-2006, 07:37 PM
Thanks so much to everyone who responded!

Great idea about using the hatch to get the older 2 in the backseat- that would work most anyplace except the car line at school and they normally ride the bus :) I don't think I would have thought of that on my own... Of course, they would have to climb over a stroller and assorted MOPS totes but I could probably organize that to accommodate them... Plus, they would probably love climbing in the rear of the van!

Also, thanks for the advice on who should get what seat... I'm not sure which one is the Regent- is that the old Wizard with the headwings? I'm not sure my daughter would like those after having the Marathon? The Grow With Me is a great seat and fairly well padded (not as much as the Marathon tho) and it does rear face to 30 or 33lbs, I can't remember offhand... The only thing I don't like about it is that it's not as easy to adjust the straps as the Marathon... Any thoughts on the new Fisher Price/Britax seats for the oldest? She is on the small side and will probably get passed up by her younger brother!

One thing I didn't mention was that my father lives with us, which is one of the many reasons we wanted the 8 passenger van so taking out a seat is not a long term solution for the 2nd row- he goes with us places too often! So I need to save one of those outboard 2nd row seats for my dad :)

Again, thanks a gagillion for all your advice and for letting me know about the LATCH/top tether positions in the 3rd row. I will have to take a good look around once we finally get our hot little hands on it! We were supposed to get it today but it just left the port today! ARGH! We were holding out for the slate color as it will be a long, long, loooonnnnggg time before we buy a brand new vehicle again :)

Hugs y'all :)
Nicole
Mom to 5 Blessings

Megan 10-95
Joshua 12-97
Katelyn 7-01
Zachary 8-03
David 6-05

PS. Congrats on number 5 due in September :) Keeps ya hoppin! :)

Kat_Mom2D_J_andRuthie
04-20-2006, 08:39 PM
The Regent is the one that harnesses to 80lbs... aka... when a child is usually ready for just a seatbelt.

here's a pic of them... they are fabulous.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v332/kat_k1/carseat%20photos/RegentHusky2.jpg (http://photobucket.com)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v332/kat_k1/carseat%20photos/My3KidsSleepinginBritaxSeats.jpg (http://photobucket.com)

top slots are 20.5" tall (3" taller than the Marathon's top slots)

it's a large seat... I can still fit a Marathon next to it in the third row of my Caravan

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v332/kat_k1/carseat%20photos/RegentMarathon.jpg (http://photobucket.com)

but I haven't found out for sure if I can fit a FisherPrice booster next to it on the other side.

Kat

jeanum
04-20-2006, 10:13 PM
The Britax Regent is the new name for the Husky, and it's a 5-point harnessed, FF only seat for 22-80 lbs. The top harness slots are about 20 inches, taller than the slots in the Marathon. It's a great seat for extended harnessing. The only negative thing I can say about the Regent is that it's not FAA approved for use on planes (too wide), and it's probably just as well because it's a heavy seat to lug around an airport. :) I plan to get the Regent for my 4 year old when she outgrows her Marathon by height.

Sometimes Target.com has the Regent available in certain fabrics with free shipping. You might be able to find an online coupon code for Target.com to get an additional 10% off, plus you can usually shop at Target.com by going through the online shopping links at ebates.com or Upromise.com and stack discounts.

The $180 Fisher Price Safe Voyage Deluxe convertible is made by Britax and it's a stripped version of the Marathon with top harness slots that are about the same height as the Marathon's. It also has a slightly lower FF weight limit of 55 lbs.

Your Sienna will be worth the wait but hope it doesn't take much longer to arrive.

murphydog77
04-21-2006, 12:08 AM
I hate to nitpik, but are you sure about the FP Grow with Me? Those don't rear-face; rather, they are harnessed to 40 lbs., then convert to a belt positioning booster. If that's the seat you have, then your 2.5 yr old should stay in it and the baby should get the Marathon. Century used to make a seat called Room to Grow, I believe, but it's one that I would probably replace if I had the funds.

The new FP seats that Britax is making should be OK. I haven't heard much in the way of feedback on them yet. They don't have the niceties, like the lockoffs, but then again, they don't have those darned lockoffs ;).

Heather, CPS Tech
http://www.CarSeatSite.com

Kat_Mom2D_J_andRuthie
04-21-2006, 01:14 AM
this is the grow with me: http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/people/injury/childps/csr2001/csrhtml/Fisher-Price_Grow-with-Me.html

on this page, it lists the features for it under the combination booster section (so it does not rearface)

http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/people/injury/childps/csr2001/csrhtml/safetyFeatures.html

here are the features: harnesses from 20-40lbs booster use from 30-80lbs type of harness is 5-point..... front access harness adjuster yes, tilt lock tether strap adjuster yes...... shoulder strap slots 1 set... chest clip 1-piece

other: Shoulder straps move up with adjustable headrest, side wings.

mammanik
04-25-2006, 10:25 PM
Oh my gosh, you guys are right!!! I don't know why I kept thinking that Zach's seat was a convertable rf/ff seat! I know I would have figured it out when I went to install it but thanks for saving me the trouble! I must have been thinking about his old seat- which was a Century Accel I think? Not sure if I still have that one- my garage is a haven for accumulated car seats and strollers!!!

Sorry I didn't come back sooner- we've been trying to get a home equity line of credit as well as dealing with trying to get the new van... (We renegotiated rear disc brakes, alloy wheels, the stability/traction control option and a dvd player) and we were finally able to pick it up today!!! Oh my gosh, I love this van! It rides like a car, it's roomy like a minivan, the interior controls are mom/kid friendly and the color (Slate- a deep blue/gray) is gorgeous! We can't stop grinning like idiots at each other! LOL My dh likes it so much, he wants one too! Not any time soon! :)

So, we'll be dealing with the car seat issue tomorrow- who goes where, etc. I wonder if Babies R Us would let us take 2 marathons out to my van to see how they all fit in the backseat?!?! I can only afford to get one at a time unless the HELOC goes through...

Anyhow, thanks again for all the wonderful advice and for the heads up about my Grow With Me! :) You guys are awesome :)

Nicole
Mom to 5 Blessings

Megan 10/95
Joshua 12/97
Katelyn 7/01
Zachary 8/03
David 6/05

murphydog77
04-26-2006, 12:12 PM
Congrats on the new van! I know what you mean--you just want to sit in it. Even last night, we had the car seats out because dh needed to haul some work associates around, so he and I just sat in the 2nd row captain's chairs--it was nice! Those kids have it good :D.

Heather

Heather, CPS Tech
http://www.CarSeatSite.com