PDA

View Full Version : Rearfacing slot heights

niccig
04-18-2006, 03:02 PM
DS is RF in a touriva still at the lowest slots (he's short). His shoulders are so far above the current slot, that I'm not sure it's safe to leave it there - the harness is tight but it seems he can lean forward more than in our BV. But his shoulders are about the same height as the next slot, if not a smidgeon below - it depends on how he's sitting in the seat. Bum against the back, his shoulders are at the slot, if bum is a little forward, he's just below the slots. I know for RF, the slot should be below or at the shoulders.

So mamas/techies, is it safe to move the harness?

Nicci

Splash
04-18-2006, 03:44 PM
I would move it. As long as you're not using the TOP slots, his shoulders can be a bit below. Because in a frontal crash, he's going to 'ride up' the back of that seat. So if it's only 1/4 inch or so, and his head will still go nowhere near the top of the seat, he should be fine.
I just put Charlie in a SafeSeat in one car. Going from a BT latch loc (with seven slots and a knob harness similar to the BV) and he's been in two BVs other than that. So this is the first seat he's had a set slot height. It's hard to move to! I am so used to the harness height being PERFECT, not having to pick between 3 pre determined slots.

Kat_Mom2D_J_andRuthie
04-19-2006, 01:32 AM
I totally agree... I'd move it up.

and his bum should be all the way back... maybe moving him up would keep it there.

Kat

Joolsplus2
04-19-2006, 11:31 AM
Yeah, I'd move it up... when it gets too far low, then kids can lean out /sideways, and of course that's bad... also, the lapstraps will be holding him down in the seat (at or below is a great recommendation, but is more important for 3-pt/overhead shield seats where the shoulder straps are doing virtually all the 'holding in' part).

:)
Julie CPS Tech and mom to 3 in seats
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx

niccig
04-19-2006, 02:45 PM
Ok, I'll move it. I'll make sure his butt is positioned against the back of the seat, and all should be good. I have a rock-solid install (seatbelt with locking clip so the side isn't pulled up), and I don't want to take it out. Is there a way to adjust w/o removing the seat?
Boy, do I love our BV even more - so easy to adjust.

Thanks Nicci

Splash
04-19-2006, 02:53 PM
Yeah. I've done that.
Just loosen the straps as much as you can. Then you will be able to pull the splitter plate to where you can reach it. Move the straps, reconnect them, and then tighten the harness again. Just make sure nothing gets stuck anywhere and check your install again after just in case.

niccig
04-19-2006, 07:06 PM
Thanks Splash. I'll do this once DH gets home.