PDA

View Full Version : Going on trip by car - time to upgrade to convertible?

firstmom1005
04-19-2006, 08:00 AM
My 6 month old (~19lbs) is still in her Combi Tyro II infant seat (strapped in via seatbelt vs. latch), and I had planned to get her a Britax convertible in the next couple of months. But we're taking a car trip from VA to SC (8 - 9 hours) in a couple of weeks, and I was just wondering what the group's opinion is on putting her in a convertible for the trip. The reason I ask is because I've read where some people think their babies are more comfortable/happier in the convertible. We took a 3 hour trip to my parents this past weekend, which has been her longest car ride to date. She slept all but the last 30 minutes on the way there - then started fussing. On the way back, she woke up about half way home and started screaming. We pulled over, I took her out of her seat, and she was happy because she could sit up and look around. As soon as I put her back in her seat, she started crying again (for 30 more minutes!!) - so , I wonder if she would like that the convertibles sit up more. She's starting to figure out how to sit up on her own, and much prefers to be "sitting" than laying back these days. Sorry for the long post, but while I have your attention - we have a '03 Ford Expedition...I'm a little confused by all of the Britax convertible choices. I know the latest BB recommendation is the Roundabout. I don't want to spend extra money on features that are "extra", but at the same time, when it comes to safety, I certainly don't want to skimp and figure she'll be in this seat for several years, so it's worth it if the BV is the way to go. BTW, our truck has side impact air bags...does anyone have any suggestions/opinions on what seats you like/prefer? Thanks so much, and again, sorry for the long post...

DebbieJ
04-19-2006, 08:39 AM
Moving to a convertible now sounds like a good idea, especially with the trip ahead of you.

You really can't go wrong with any of the big Britax seats--Marathon, Boulevard, and Decathalon. A BLVD might be overkill since you already have the side impact airbags. My son has been in a Marathon since three months and he's still rear-facing in it. He loves it!

If you do buy the big Britaxes--do us all a favor. Use it to it's limits! Rearface with tether until 33 pounds and forward face with tether to 65 pounds (or until she's too tall for the seat). It kills me to see people using Britaxes forward facing for their one year olds. Kind of defeats the purpose of buying a Britax in the first place, IMHO.

~ deb
DS born at home 12/03
2 year check up: 25 lbs with clothes on and 35 inches!
BFARed for 20 months and 6 days
(Breastfeeding After Reduction is possible! www.bfar.org)

http://www.bfar.org/members/fora/style_avatars/Ribbons/18months-bfar.jpg