PDA

View Full Version : combined use of latch with seatbelt?

audra_kathleen
04-19-2006, 05:38 PM
My husband and I just installed two decathlons in an explorer (rearfaced) and a mercedes E class (forwardfaced). We can't seem to get them tight enough with just latch, but when using them with the seatbelt they are tighter. Is it dangerous to install them this way?
Thank you, Audra (mother to Emma 7 months and Joseph 3 years)

jeanum
04-19-2006, 06:04 PM
Yes, it is dangerous and please don't keep them installed with both. Although intuitively it may seem safer to install with both LATCH and the seatbelt, it's a big "no no." Carseats are designed and crash tested using one or the other, not both. There is no telling how the seat would perform if it's subjected to crash forces when installed using both, and no guarantee that your children would be properly protected in a seat installed the way you're describing. As some techs have been known to say, don't make your child(ren) a crash test dummy :(. If you can get the seats installed tight enough using LATCH or the seatbelt so that there is less than 1 inch of movement at the beltpath, then you should be fine. I actually kneel or sit on/in my 4 year old's FF Marathon when I install it and this helps me cinch up the LATCH straps or the seatbelt to get a tight install. It also helps to have two people to do the installation, and of course a CPS tech can also be a big help with the installation. You can find a tech in your area by doing a search at www.seatcheck.org.

HTH.

Kat_Mom2D_J_andRuthie
04-20-2006, 11:40 AM
yes... you'd be using the kids as crash dummies... you can use latch OR the seatbelt... not both.

kellyotn
04-20-2006, 02:27 PM
Can you tell what the problem might be with LATCH? Are the seats contoured oddly? Are you checking for the less than 1" of movement at the belt path? For the RF seat especially, its easy to feel like they aren't tight if you yank on the top of the seat, etc.

Generally, I've had super good luck with FF Britaxes. Just kneel in the seat and tighten the LATCH. Or, I actually prefer the seat belt install b/c I love their FF lockoffs. I stand outside the car and tug the shoulder portion tug-of-war style. Clamp lockoff, check seat, pull tighter until happy.

For the RF seat, I find LATCH easier. I stand behind the seat jamming it forward into the backseat with my weight, pull the LATCHes. There is kind of a certain angle that's easier to get the straps to tighten. Its kinda like you are pulling towards the seat, I may have even ran the tail thru the seat belt path to get it pulled easier.

Are you using tethers?

If you can specify the problems that they seem to be having, I'm sure someone can help. Remember, LATCH isn't safer, its just supposed to be easier, you can always use the seatbelts (instead of LATCH) if you wish.

edited for clarity.

audra_kathleen
04-20-2006, 04:31 PM
Thank you so much for the advice. I think the seat in the mercedes is deeper than most. And I will be sure to check the movement at the belt path. I am going to reinstall them today. Audra :)

Kat_Mom2D_J_andRuthie
04-20-2006, 09:59 PM
you are correct.

with the mercedes, for the rf seats, I'd try using a rolled towel to level it partway... because it's just so slanted... or just try the seatbelt.

for forward facing, have you already moved the latch connectors to the ff position?

Kat

audra_kathleen
04-25-2006, 10:10 AM
Thank you so much for the advice. I can't believe we overlooked where the latch connectors go in ff direction in our explorer. Our problem is solved!!!! The towel roll really helped in the mercedes too. Thank you again so much.
Audra

Kat_Mom2D_J_andRuthie
04-26-2006, 12:53 PM
hey, it's always the little things that are easiest to forget/overlook... I'm just glad I mentioned it....