PDA

View Full Version : Returned the CarGo, DH doesn't want Touriva, now what?

lynettefrancois
04-20-2006, 10:16 PM
For a 2nd seat for DD (now 28 months and average height& weight), I picked out a Graco CarGo for DH's car. I couldn't tighten the harness adjuster unless the seat was not secured to the car. Neither could DH. The belts were not twisted and there was no apparent reason for it. I took it back to BRU and noticed that there isn't much room between the back, and where the belt slides in the back to tighten, so I assume his back seat is just too plush to work with that seat (while getting the seat installed tightly and properly). I would have gotten another Touriva (left at my Mom's house out of state when DH picked us up in my car), but DH wanted to put additional padding on the horizontal seat area because it was obviously not going to be comfy for long rides. I didn't want him doing this when I wasn't around (and grew tired of his physics lessons), so I picked a CarGo instead. I've got carpal tunnel, so I don't want to choose a seat that's difficult to adjust the harness- I simply don't have the hand strength on an ongoing basis. OTOH, in DH's car he would be there, so maybe that's not such an issue. What choices do I have for a cheaper second seat that's easy to adjust, padded enough so DH won't supplement, and not as expensive as another Marathon??? Please help! thanks!

kellyotn
04-20-2006, 10:50 PM
The Fisher Price MA clone?

Honestly, does DD *complain* about the Touriva being uncomfy? My DD (until this past week when she was officially too tall) has ridden in a MA in my car and a Scenera in DH's truck. She's 3.5 and would clearly and plainly express it if she found the Scenera uncomfy. (She's not in diapers anymore, BTW. So no extra padding there.) When she does ride in the Scenera its for 3.5 to 4 HOURS. She's just as happy there as in the MA - she chats, then sleeps, then wakes up refreshed and pleasant. We parents seem to be way more concerned about padding than the kiddos. IF you are going on a long trip and he's worried, just swap 'em and use the MA for the trip?

Can you use the Cosco Apex? (You need a high seatback.) It harnesses until 65 lbs, which is GREAT. $130 at TRU or Walmart. After 65 makes a nice booster.

The Evenflo Generations/Bolero? It has the Evenflo knob adjuster - its a love or hate thing, but if you don't hate it - its a nice harnessed seat that will make a nice booster after 40 lbs. The Bolero version is only $80 at Kmart, the Generations may be a bit more padded for $100 at Target.....

The Recaro Young Sport? I loooove this seat and would have one, but my DD is too close to 40 lbs (its harness max). It makes a stellar booster. I wish wish wish they harnessed longer than 40. Its $250 though, so may as well get another MA.....

Joolsplus2
04-21-2006, 07:51 AM
Ooh, I hate when the Cargo does that :P. I wish it were cheaper, but the Graco Safe Seat 2 is super, super nice and easy to adjust, if you can even find one to look at. (Kelly had great suggestions, too).
Julie CPS Tech and mom to 3 in seats
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx

lynettefrancois
04-21-2006, 02:17 PM
Thanks for those suggestions! I will check them all out. The problem with a Touriva/clone is that even if DD is not complaining, DH will take it upon himself to "fix" the seat if I'm not watching. x( So I can't take the chance. I will check out and search all the others you mentioned- they were kind of a pain about returning the CarGo, so I hope none of the others do that. Hopefully I'll remember to look at the back and see if there's something that will keep the belt from getting stuck on those plush seats. :D Thanks again!!

Splash
04-21-2006, 05:08 PM
The SafeSeat 2 *is* incredible. I completely love it. It is a big price tag for only a 20-40 pound seat, but...

It does have tall top slots, plus deep side wings and EPS foam. Super easy to install and adjust, very cushy, and can be reclined while it is installed! She would likely make it to 40 pounds in it and then you could get a good booster for the lesser used car.
If this seat were a convertible, and became a decent booster, or just cost less, I would recommend it to everyone. It is that nice. But $130 for a 20-40 pound seat is just a bit extreme IMO.